Using outboard gear AFTER tracking to DAW

BRIEFCASEMANX

Winner chicken dinner!
I have no idea how I would use outboard gear(compression, EQ) after I've tracked through my audio interface and into digital. I kind of want to get some outboard gear(better sounding stuff than plug-ins), but I'm deathly afraid of adding effects while tracking and then having an irreversible mess. How do pros use outboard gear in the mix when tracking onto a computer???

Sorry if this is the stupidest question ever. This is just something that has been plaguing me for awhile and I haven't found the answer in any books or online yet.

Well..
I usually have my motu2408mk2 "hardwired" to a lexicon lxp5 (outs 7-8 from motu and returns from the LXP to 7-8 inputs on the motu). If I want to use it, I use an auxillary send from the mixer in Cubase sx2 (you can assign the individual sends to interface outputs) to 7-8, then create a stereo return track monitoring inputs 7-8. I usually apply a limiter to the returns too, just in case.

I am soo bad at explaning things in english. Hope it made at least some sense ;)

Oh yes,
if you got a crappy AD/DA, using outboard processing might do more harm than good. But then again, it's just so much more fun :)

unfortunately I'm using a Presonus Firepod.....so maybe I should start saving for that Rosetta instead of that Distressor, eh?

Back