Using Microsoft Wavetable Synth In Cakewalk X1 Producer

KennyP

Hi guys,

First of all, I'm new to this forum and I'd like to say hi to everyone.

I'm trying to bounce all midi tracks to one single stereo audio track in X1 Producer,
as I've done many times before. Previously however, I always used just the
Cakewalk TTS-1 synth for all my demos. This time because its sound is just
right for the song I'm recording, I've set the Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth as the
input for all the midi tracks In X1 producer. While in X1 producer I hear everything
just fine. However, when I highlight all tracks and I try to bounce them onto a single
stereo track all I hear are the vocals being bounced. Nothing that is on the midi
tracks assigned to the Microsoft Synth gets bounced, unless that is,
I switch their inputs to the Cakewalk synth. It's the only way I get all the sounds of
the midi tracks bounced onto the single stereo track as well as the vocals, as usual -
but with the wrong sound.

How do you get this Microsoft Wavetable synth to behave just like the Cakewalk TTS-1,
synth, so that midi tracks sent to it can get bounced?

Running Win 7 64bit.

Thanks

Attachments

• microsoft-synth.jpg
    microsoft-synth.jpg
    18.9 KB · Views: 297
  • midi-devices.jpg
    midi-devices.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 92
  • TTS-.jpg
    TTS-.jpg
    18.7 KB · Views: 259
Last edited:
Strryder: Thank you very much for your reply. I did exactly as you suggested and was able to finish the demo. Although, I still don't understand why Cakewalk makes it extra difficult when using MS GS Wavetable Synth - that is, If it can heard through M-Audio why not also make it recordable? That is, be able to "Bounce to Tracks" as when I use Cakewalk TTS-1?

It's really not that Cakewalk is making it extra difficult, it's because the Microsoft Wavetable synth is not part of Sonar, it's part of Windows, Sonar is accessing it as an external midi device and as such, it's audio output must somehow be recorded back into Sonar as audio, the same steps would be required if you were using Sonar to trigger sounds from external rackmount midi sound module or from a midi keyboard.

I could be wrong here because I know almost nothing about midi, but I think that Sonar is not actually playing the audio out from the MS wavetable synth, Sonar is sending midi to it and windows is combining Sonar's audio output with the MS wavetable synth's audio output and sending BOTH out of your M-Audio device, that's why you hear them mixed together.

If you were using an external hardware midi device you would probably also need a small mixer so that you could mix your computer's audio output with the hardware synth's audio output even just for monitoring.

Last edited:
Thanks for answering my question Strryder. Fact is, I'm grateful I was able to finish my demo using your suggestion.
Thanks again.

Hi Kenny. I bought X1 Essential for my son some years ago and I could never get a bloody MIDI sound out of it! Son could mind and liked certain aspects of the DAW but in truth he did most of his MIDI work in Cubase Elements 6.

If a piano sound is wanted (an d now several others) do look at Modartt Pianoteq. Nice sound, low latency, V low CPU hit, fair price and VERY nice people!

BTW, we never did mange to export MIDI data from X1, can you?

Dave.

Modartt Pianoteq. Nice sound, low latency, V low CPU hit, fair price and VERY nice people!

Fascinating. I just spent 1/2 an hour reading about V5 and their approach in SOS and another rag. Pure physical model, zero samples, who would have thought. Will have to check out the audio. Thanks for the tip

Back