Using Cubase ASIO channels as Inserts in a "live" analogue mixing situation

dj_confus

I am wondering.

Suppose I have a "live" analogue mix on a 16 channels mixer whis is equipped with insert jacks, one per channel. Now suppose I also have et 16 IN / 16 OUT ASIO soundcard plugged in a neaby computer. And suppose I have cubase SX installed on that computer. If I were to make my setup as to use cubase channnels to use VST effects as INSERTS for my live mix (mixed with or instead of rack effects), would the ASIO delay (2-5ms) produce an undesirable effet on my mix?

Ok I just figured part of the answer. My guess is if all 16 channels are patched there, then I wouldn't be able to notice the delay because every channel would be delayd, while if I only patch certain channels there, I might run into phase/delay problems.

Opinions?

i suppose it could work, however you've got to make sure that your copmuter can hanlde it.

I also wouldn't try it unless you can seperate the monitor/FOH sends, as even a small delay can throw off musicians. Also, if you can hear your monitors in the corwd, I wouldn't try it, as the monitors and FOHsends will be out of sync, and will sound weird.

Remember that latency isn't just the asio device, it's also the computer. Plus, you have to double the latency in this case, as you're going in/out of the box.

So, plausible, but maybe not he best idea.

The plugins will cause a delay, which is automatically compensated for within Cubase, but ofcourse this can only happen to already recorded material. When using inserts on running tracks, they are always going to be too late. This is problem for things like compressors especially. Verbs and delays should be tweakable to use, because they are late anyway. However, since an insert plug will delay the entire track (not just the effect), this won't work at all.

Bottom line: perhaps verbs and delay as a send only. Don't even think about dynamic processing.

Back