Using compressor/adjusting track level

davecg321

Ok,

So I set my faders to get a decent sounding mix. I then add a compressor to say the acoustic guitar with roughly 3db of gain reduction. Do I then use the output on the compressor to adjust overall track level, or, do I use the regular fader on the mixer? If it's the former couldn't i technically leave all tracks requiring compression at unity gain and do all level adjustment with the compressor?

Cheers

Normally you use the output/makeup gain on the compressor to compensate for the loss in perceived volume resulting from the compression. Some compressors take on some "color" when their output is pushed high, that could be a reason to crank the output/makeup gain on the compressor and compensate by lowering the fader volume. But if it's a clean compressor, I'd say it's a wash between using the makeup gain and the fader. Personally I'd rather use the fader, but it's up to you and your workflow.

But if I push the fader up after getting my preferred compressor settings doesn't this effectively pump more signal to the compressor, thus creating more compression and gain reduction?

In a perfect world, you add the compression and set it to get the sound you want. Then you use the makeup gain to bring the level back up to where it was before compression. Then you would mix the song on the faders.

In the land of outboard gear, it is much more important to use the makeup gain. The point of it is to bring the output level of the compressor back up to line level before the signal is sent to the next piece of gear. Inside the DAW, it doesn't tend to matter as much

But if I push the fader up after getting my preferred compressor settings doesn't this effectively pump more signal to the compressor, thus creating more compression and gain reduction?

Where are you putting the compressor?

If you are inserting it on the channel, the fader for that channel is after the compressor.

If you're going to ride the fader with automation, you might as well do that before the compressor instead of after it. Then feed the compressor the more desired volume levels so everything comes out far more level than you tweaking it AFTER.

In simplistic terms, use the compressor to adjust the dynamic range of the track and the fader to adjust the overall level.

In practical terms, this means using the compressor to get things close in a course, automatic way, then use the fader to make the fine--dare I say artistic--adjustments to the mix.

Back