Used SOUNDCRAFT VS. ALLEN & HEATH

borntoplease

if anyone has payed attention, ive posted many questions about soundcraft boards. i was almost decided on a soundcraft 6000, but decided it was too much for a first time board. i dont think i want a ghost, i have been using them in my classes, and while they are great, i dont think i like the pres in them. i have read others saying they are less than brilliant too. so. i saw a used allen & heath GS3 for sale. here is the link to the board.
http://www.soniccircus.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=SC&Product_Code=N7974 how would this compare to a soundcraft 6000 or a 600 or even a ghost. it seems like a fair price and talked to a sales man on the phone and he said it is in great condition. it was a trade in and came from a local studio in boston. so. if anyone has any thoughts on the board i would love to hear them...
thanks

benjamin

Honestly, maybe save for the Soundcraft 6000. I think older A&H's are good, but I'm not so sure about anything made past 1990. I'm not an expert on that GS3--having never used one myself.

I dunno, I tend to purchase stuff that is a little over my needs so I can grow into it.

the 6000 was going to take a lot of wiring (soldering and what not) that i dont know how to do, which means i would have to hire someone to do it for me. the elco connectors are expensive. i just felt like it was going to be money sucker. plus, i dont have the space right now for a 7ft board. dont get me wrong, i do want one, i just dont think i want it now.

that's an insane price for a GS3, used in the UK they go for about £300/$500

I'd have a look on eBay

I managed to STEAL an A&H Saber 24/16/2 from ebay last year for £360. I love the pre's and the EQ is fantastic.

The GS3V has flying faders

I think the Soundcraft 6000 will sound better. Between the Ghost and the GS3, I think they will sound about the same. They will be different, but I wouldn't really say that one sounds any better than the other.

As far as a GS3v goes, I thought that the "v" versions just added some more midi implementation, but I know they don't come stock with flying faders. I don't think they even come stock with VCA fader automation (which is very different from flying faders).

Back