trimming heads and tails

dobro

How much time at the beginning of the track do you leave before the point when the first note's struck? Nothing? One second? Two?

Same question for the end of the track. Let's say you hit the last note and damp the strings so everything ends really quickly. How much time do you leave after that note before you trim the end? And do you fade the gain from that point to the end of the track, or just let it ride?

I adjust editor resolution to 500 ms, cut everything before wave´s start point, and then insert 100 ms of digital silence. This is time needed by older cd players to lead-in reading.
Depending on the song, i let it ring, fade naturally, or i cut, but always make short 100 ms fade to digital zero. Pauses between tracks are edited later, standard 2 sec.

I understand 'cut everything before wave's start point'. I *think* I understand 'insert 100 ms of digital silence' - you slide the whole session 100 ms to the right of where the track starts, right ? But I don't understand what you mean by 'adjust editor resolution to 500 ms'. What's that about?

What you say about endings makes sense to me. I'm not completely thick. Well, not completely... :D

Okay, I'm with you now... Unless anyone with a cooler nick than yours gives me a good reason why not, I'm going to follow your lead. Thanks Igormeister.

Back