Trident console

jmorris

Anyone had experience with a Trident console? series 65 or 70. I am wondering how the mic pre's and eq's are.

NL5 on here has a Trident Series 80. Thseries 65 and 70 consoles are still cool consoles, but they really don't have the "80" vibe and are certainly no "A range". That being said, they are also easy to modify, cost much less than the series 80 and up, are a little smaller and lighter, but still sound pretty good. If you were to compare to something like a Ghost, the Trident series 65 and TS's even will eat a Ghost for lunch. What exactly were you looking to find out? Also keep in mind that especially with the less expensive Tridents you will likely be looking at having to invest some in Recapping and maybe some switches and will probably want to consider a power supply modification. I know a lot of people claim to get a much better sound once the cheaper Tridents get their power supplies updated.

I've worked on both a Trident 24 and Trident Vector. Both very good sounding boards but seem to require quite a bit of maintenence. In both boards there were issues with pres cutting out and channels needing to be removed and worked on for various issues. The Vector even had a channel catch fire at the school were I teach.

If the price is good I would go for it, but make certain that you have a tech available.

Anybody hear anything about the Toft Audio ATB series mixers which are designed by Malcom Toft (the guy who designed the Trident 80s) and are supposed to replicate the Triident 80 sound without having to worry about decomposing innards in an old console? Do those things deliver as advertised?

G.

Last edited:
Im looking for a larger console that has pre's that I ca use if I want to.I have a good amount of outboard mic pres but dont want a console with pre's I will not use. I sold my other old console and now Im looking to replace it/upgrade. I want something with a bit of a "wow" factor when people walk in. My last console had that but I never really liked the sound of it. But it did look cool. I like some of the MCI consoles also.They seem to be in the same price range as Trident 65 or 70, about 6-7 grand. I would also like decent eq's if I choose to use them.I mix almost 100% ITB but would not not getting back to console work. There is a Mackie D8B for sale in my town presently. Not a large console of course, no wow factor but I have always heard good things about them, dont know how true.
Jim

Anybody hear anything about the Toft Audio ATB series mixers which are designed by Malcom Toft (the guy who designed the Trident 80s) and are supposed to replicate the Triident 80 sound without having to worry about decomposing innards in an old console? Do those things deliver as advertised?

there's a big thread at gearslutz about the toft ATB, and all of those guys are shitting themselves over how good it sounds...of course there's a couple little complaints here and there about routing and aesthetics and the such, but on the whole those who have bought/used them seem to have very positive things to say

There is a Mackie D8B for sale in my town presently. Not a large console of course, no wow factor but I have always heard good things about them, dont know how true.

the D8B is has a nice look and feel, and runs fairly stable, but it sucks if you're mixing ITB, because you're stuck using mackie's onboard eq/compression/whatever else plugs. the preamps are also pretty crappy. another beef i had with it was that where i used it, it was a completely proprietary system in conjunction with a mackie HDR24...there was no way to import files from the outside, and if you wanted to export files, you would have to bounce them one-by-one to another unit, such as a masterlink, then burn to disc.

OTOH, i don't know if that's the only way they can be configured, but that's how the one i used was setup.

there's a big thread at gearslutz about the toft ATB, and all of those guys are shitting themselves over how good it sounds...of course there's a couple little complaints here and there about routing and aesthetics and the such, but on the whole those who have bought/used them seem to have very positive things to say
Very cool. Sure beats worrying about re-capping and refurbing in my book. The prices aren't awful on them either. A bit high maybe compared with the prosumer brands, but if they sound that good, they may be worth it.
another beef i had with it was that where i used it, it was a completely proprietary system in conjunction with a mackie HDR24...there was no way to import files from the outside, and if you wanted to export files, you would have to bounce them one-by-one to another unit, such as a masterlink, then burn to disc.
It doesn't have to be that way. The D8B/HDR24 system has both Ethernet and Internet hookup capability (it may be an optional card for that, I'm not sure) that allow full file sharing and file transfer through common protocols. The sound for the TV show "The Simpsons" used to be (still is??) remotely mixed this exact way. The sound mixer had (has?) a D8B-centered home studio at his home in Arizona. The studio in California just sends him all the raw audio tracks via Internet, dumped directly into his Mackie system, on which he did(does?) all the final editing and mixing. When he's done he just FTPs the final product files back to the studio directly from his studio rig. Talk about telecommuting! :D

Additionally, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that at least one of the drive bays on the HDR24 is hot-swappable, meaning one can use hot-swap disc packs to move data from studio or console to to studio or console, and could alternately be used for any standard 5 1/2" form factor drive pack, which these days could anything from CD/DVD-ROM to a memory stick drive interface.

G.

Thge few people that I have talked to that have used the ATB and are familiar with the nicer Trident consoles have all told me that there was still a distinct difference in sound between them, but all of them have liked the way the Toft consoles sound, just not as much as the original Trident stuff.

As far as the Mackie D8B goes, if I were even considereing a Trident or an MCI console, a Mackie would not even be on my radar. You could also look into the Sony 3xxx console. The MCI console partly evolved into the Sony. The SOny has modular preamps and EQ sections and you can add preamps form Hardy, Forsell and API as well as changing the EQ's out with API, Avalon and Forsell. All of this is done per channel and even Sony makes I think 4 different EQ's that can go inline.

Yeah, I agree Mackie isnt in the same ballpark as Trident or MCI. For me the Mackie would possibly be an interum choice.

In your propesed price range you could even get a Sony digital board, an Amek BIG or maybe even Angela or Einstein, TAC Scorpion or Magnum,Soundcraft series 6000, TS 12 or Ghost, Otari console, Yamaha DM1000 or O2R, DDA, D&R Orion (if you can find one for sale) etc..... all of which I would greatly prefer to the Mackie:)

In your propesed price range you could even get a Sony digital board, an Amek BIG or maybe even Angela or Einstein, TAC Scorpion or Magnum,Soundcraft series 6000, TS 12 or Ghost, Otari console, Yamaha DM1000 or O2R, DDA, D&R Orion (if you can find one for sale) etc..... all of which I would greatly prefer to the Mackie:)

I've used the dm2000 a bit. It's pretty nice, takes a while to learn the basics, but once you know how, it's a nice board. good sounding pres, nice software, unlimited routing of course since it's digital and the list goes on. I was impressed with the pres on it...

So i'm sure the 1000 is pretty good to, though i've never used it.

Remenber as I said the Macjie or even an O2R would just be an interum choice until I get a Trident or MCI etc. The Toft ATB also looks nice. I got a price of $5800.00 for the 32 channel.

funny as I really dont need a console and could wait umtil I have the cash for a large format ( like the mci 636, trident 65,70,75) but it feels naked without one. I mix ITB and use all outboard preamps and only use console for kick back of headphone mixes. If I get a "real" console as with MCI or Trident I am hoping I can also use their preamps too.
Glen, yes the new Toft looks very nice as it is "new". no screwing around with whatever can/could go wrong with a vintage console.

If you get yourself into a nicer console like some of the ones mentioned, you might be surprised at just how usable the preamps and EQ's are. We have done a few informal preamp shootouts at my studio. One of the things that surprised most people that were involved was just how well my D&R console held its own in each different test on each different source. In the last tests we did we used a Chandler TG2, API 512c, OSA A and C, and L models, Trident Fleximix, and maybe another that I am not remembering off hand. The console never really won on any one source, but of the three of us, one of us usually picked it as a favorite on a single source. In all tests though it held right up there neck and neck with the others. The bottom line is that we learned through actual use that it was very usable even with a good selection of outboard. Even up against a Martech it still sounded good. Add to that the killer EQ, much better routing than most all low to mid level digital consoles (including the DM series by yamaha), inline functionality, 10 auxes, calibratable metering, an excellent heat source in the winter, a sharp looking speaker stand, real P&G faders, the fact that it is virtually unstealable at 2000+ pounds, modular build, 104 channels with EQ and full routing on each, and a huge bling factor, and the console starts to look like a pretty good value. Just don't forget about your power bill;)

If you get yourself into a nicer console like some of the ones mentioned, you might be surprised at just how usable the preamps and EQ's are. We have done a few informal preamp shootouts at my studio. One of the things that surprised most people that were involved was just how well my D&R console held its own in each different test on each different source. In the last tests we did we used a Chandler TG2, API 512c, OSA A and C, and L models, Trident Fleximix, and maybe another that I am not remembering off hand. The console never really won on any one source, but of the three of us, one of us usually picked it as a favorite on a single source. In all tests though it held right up there neck and neck with the others. The bottom line is that we learned through actual use that it was very usable even with a good selection of outboard. Even up against a Martech it still sounded good. Add to that the killer EQ, much better routing than most all low to mid level digital consoles (including the DM series by yamaha), inline functionality, 10 auxes, calibratable metering, an excellent heat source in the winter, a sharp looking speaker stand, real P&G faders, the fact that it is virtually unstealable at 2000+ pounds, modular build, 104 channels with EQ and full routing on each, and a huge bling factor, and the console starts to look like a pretty good value. Just don't forget about your power bill;)

I agree 100%. This is why Im looking at a better grade console as mentioned, premps and eq's. Im not sold on Trident or MCI. The Dand R looks good,I had one years ago,a 24 channel inline I got from Marquette Audio, no meters and most of the pots were stiff and half froze. I think in a year or so I'll have the extra cash for what ever I want ie. MCI, DDR,D&R. For now I'm looking at cheaper units. Between the Yamaha O2R or the Mackie 32x8,I'm thinking the O2R would be the better choice. At least the mic pre's are fair,or at least better than a plane Mackie...excluding Mackie Onyx.

Where are you going to get a 104 input 24 bus Neve for $25 K? Keep in mind, My D&R is not an Orion or a smaller one. It also has a lot of customisation including a lot of P&G faders, custom power mods, and nearly brand new power supplies (which alone cost close to $8k). :D

For $25k you aren't going to get the Neve that people are after;)

Back