Trident console

Comparing a Ghost to an 02R (just for example) is like trying to compare a coupe to an XUV; sure they are both automobiles, but they are designed with different priorities and specific purposes and features in mind.

Let's not forget that if you are looking at an analog board a la Trident or Toft or MCI, that you have to make sure you have all the channels of bi-directional conversion that you need to I/O with your DAW platform. Sure, the same is true with a digital mixer, but it's likely to be more costly with the analog board. And, IMHO, a bit more important. The great advantage to the analog boards is their sound. I'd personally want to make sure that the path between my analog board and my recorder is as pristine as possible, otherwise, my investement in that analog sound will be somewhat overspent (I'm not going to spend thousands of dollars on an analog board just to run it through a Creative Audigy ;) :))

I don't know what jmorris has now in the way of digital I/O, maybe he's already set on that ladder. But if not, that's something that needs to be factored into the budget as well.

G.

Glen, my needs/wants for a large format console are as follows. First , I recently sold my console, a Peavey /AMR production series 2400. 36 input, 24 monitor. OK board, looked good but I never really liked the sound. It was great for image when peole walked in. I just pretty much used it for return monitoring. I have a nice collection of outboard mic premps that I use from pair Telefunken V72a's to Langevin AM16's to Octopre's..anyways. I want again a large format console( so to speak) for its mic pre's and eq. I will use them with my outboard pre's. Maybe on occasion run mixes through the console. I use Alesis HD24,motu 2408 mk3 and will be getting I think a Appogee Big Ben.

Back