Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Trident console

jmorris is offline 1K Silver Member

Trident console

Sign in to disable this ad
    Anyone had experience with a Trident console? series 65 or 70. I am wondering how the mic pre's and eq's are.
    People always seem to embrace the future then long for the past

xstatic is offline Been Here, Posted That
    NL5 on here has a Trident Series 80. Thseries 65 and 70 consoles are still cool consoles, but they really don't have the "80" vibe and are certainly no "A range". That being said, they are also easy to modify, cost much less than the series 80 and up, are a little smaller and lighter, but still sound pretty good. If you were to compare to something like a Ghost, the Trident series 65 and TS's even will eat a Ghost for lunch. What exactly were you looking to find out? Also keep in mind that especially with the less expensive Tridents you will likely be looking at having to invest some in Recapping and maybe some switches and will probably want to consider a power supply modification. I know a lot of people claim to get a much better sound once the cheaper Tridents get their power supplies updated.
    Dealer for Peluso Microphones, Blue Microphones and CBI cables....
    http://www.myspace.com/xstaticstudios

masteringhouse is offline www.masteringhouse.com
    I've worked on both a Trident 24 and Trident Vector. Both very good sounding boards but seem to require quite a bit of maintenence. In both boards there were issues with pres cutting out and channels needing to be removed and worked on for various issues. The Vector even had a channel catch fire at the school were I teach.

If the price is good I would go for it, but make certain that you have a tech available.
    Tom Volpicelli
    The Mastering House Inc.
    www.masteringhouse.com

Selected Credits

SouthSIDE Glen is offline independentrecording.net
    Anybody hear anything about the Toft Audio ATB series mixers which are designed by Malcom Toft (the guy who designed the Trident 80s) and are supposed to replicate the Triident 80 sound without having to worry about decomposing innards in an old console? Do those things deliver as advertised?

G.
    Last edited by SouthSIDE Glen; 11-18-2007 at 09:10.
    Glen J. Stephan,
    SouthSIDE Multimedia Productions

RECORDING RESOURCES AND INFO SITE:

Im looking for a larger console that has pre's that I ca use if I want to.I have a good amount of outboard mic pres but dont want a console with pre's I will not use. I sold my other old console and now Im looking to replace it/upgrade. I want something with a bit of a "wow" factor when people walk in. My last console had that but I never really liked the sound of it. But it did look cool. I like some of the MCI consoles also.They seem to be in the same price range as Trident 65 or 70, about 6-7 grand. I would also like decent eq's if I choose to use them.I mix almost 100% ITB but would not not getting back to console work. There is a Mackie D8B for sale in my town presently. Not a large console of course, no wow factor but I have always heard good things about them, dont know how true.
    Jim

Ironklad Audio is offline 1K Silver Member
    Anybody hear anything about the Toft Audio ATB series mixers which are designed by Malcom Toft (the guy who designed the Trident 80s) and are supposed to replicate the Triident 80 sound without having to worry about decomposing innards in an old console? Do those things deliver as advertised?
    there's a big thread at gearslutz about the toft ATB, and all of those guys are shitting themselves over how good it sounds...of course there's a couple little complaints here and there about routing and aesthetics and the such, but on the whole those who have bought/used them seem to have very positive things to say

There is a Mackie D8B for sale in my town presently. Not a large console of course, no wow factor but I have always heard good things about them, dont know how true.
    the D8B is has a nice look and feel, and runs fairly stable, but it sucks if you're mixing ITB, because you're stuck using mackie's onboard eq/compression/whatever else plugs. the preamps are also pretty crappy. another beef i had with it was that where i used it, it was a completely proprietary system in conjunction with a mackie HDR24...there was no way to import files from the outside, and if you wanted to export files, you would have to bounce them one-by-one to another unit, such as a masterlink, then burn to disc.

OTOH, i don't know if that's the only way they can be configured, but that's how the one i used was setup.

SouthSIDE Glen is offline independentrecording.net
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironklad Audio View Post
    there's a big thread at gearslutz about the toft ATB, and all of those guys are shitting themselves over how good it sounds...of course there's a couple little complaints here and there about routing and aesthetics and the such, but on the whole those who have bought/used them seem to have very positive things to say
    Very cool. Sure beats worrying about re-capping and refurbing in my book. The prices aren't awful on them either. A bit high maybe compared with the prosumer brands, but if they sound that good, they may be worth it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ironklad Audio View Post
    another beef i had with it was that where i used it, it was a completely proprietary system in conjunction with a mackie HDR24...there was no way to import files from the outside, and if you wanted to export files, you would have to bounce them one-by-one to another unit, such as a masterlink, then burn to disc.
    It doesn't have to be that way. The D8B/HDR24 system has both Ethernet and Internet hookup capability (it may be an optional card for that, I'm not sure) that allow full file sharing and file transfer through common protocols. The sound for the TV show "The Simpsons" used to be (still is??) remotely mixed this exact way. The sound mixer had (has?) a D8B-centered home studio at his home in Arizona. The studio in California just sends him all the raw audio tracks via Internet, dumped directly into his Mackie system, on which he did(does?) all the final editing and mixing. When he's done he just FTPs the final product files back to the studio directly from his studio rig. Talk about telecommuting!

Additionally, I believe (correct me if I'm wrong) that at least one of the drive bays on the HDR24 is hot-swappable, meaning one can use hot-swap disc packs to move data from studio or console to to studio or console, and could alternately be used for any standard 5 1/2" form factor drive pack, which these days could anything from CD/DVD-ROM to a memory stick drive interface.

G.
    Glen J. Stephan,
    SouthSIDE Multimedia Productions

RECORDING RESOURCES AND INFO SITE:

Thge few people that I have talked to that have used the ATB and are familiar with the nicer Trident consoles have all told me that there was still a distinct difference in sound between them, but all of them have liked the way the Toft consoles sound, just not as much as the original Trident stuff.

As far as the Mackie D8B goes, if I were even considereing a Trident or an MCI console, a Mackie would not even be on my radar. You could also look into the Sony 3xxx console. The MCI console partly evolved into the Sony. The SOny has modular preamps and EQ sections and you can add preamps form Hardy, Forsell and API as well as changing the EQ's out with API, Avalon and Forsell. All of this is done per channel and even Sony makes I think 4 different EQ's that can go inline.

Yeah, I agree Mackie isnt in the same ballpark as Trident or MCI. For me the Mackie would possibly be an interum choice.

In your propesed price range you could even get a Sony digital board, an Amek BIG or maybe even Angela or Einstein, TAC Scorpion or Magnum,Soundcraft series 6000, TS 12 or Ghost, Otari console, Yamaha DM1000 or O2R, DDA, D&R Orion (if you can find one for sale) etc..... all of which I would greatly prefer to the Mackie

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information