Toontrack EZmix 2

I actually played with it last night again. I could not get it to work on the kick I had or the toms, found a snare preset that was ok once tweaked.

Overall though, you really need the right sources and you still have to tweak this thing.

Two years too late, but I've only registered today and I'm about to pursue this recording stuff again. I'm a drummer mainly, but IMO, I'm quite a competent song writer. This does not mean I'm a good guitarist or anything, my talent lies in drums (and a hint of bass). So, I have all these idea's in my head. I have an ear for music. I want to get what's in my head, out into a song of moderate sound quality. For YEARS I have slaved over mixes only to find "Well this sounds dull/bright/lackluster/non-punchy/muddy/crowded etc, and despite experimenting with arrangements and different plugs and a myriad of different mix approaches, I could never just get a "ball park" (as stated above) sound. Mostly on guitar and drums. Distorted guitars mainly (of a heavier variety). I went through so many guitars, tube amps, mics, cabs, speakers, everything and wasted copious amounts of money and for what? The same disappointing results over and over. All I wanted was to write and record listenable music. I don't have the budget for Waves plugs, despite how good the SSL's and vintage tube and tape plugs sounded when I demo'd them, I just don't earn enough cash or be able to justify this as any more than a hobby to fund with quadruple digit money. So is it so wrong, to want to get listenable results, on the cheap and easy? I'd still choose a proper engineer and proper gear if I COULD AFFORD TO but it's also nice to have the option to record a decent sounding project on the cheap at 4 am in the morning. I'm just not a competent engineer, I don't think I will be either, since I've been at it for 6 years now on and off, and it's still hit and miss but mostly miss... I know how things work, and I can definitely tweak and perfect but trying to get a perfect heavy rock guitar tone at stupid hour with one mic in a poorly sound treated small room will just never happen. So for me, personally, this is ideal. At the end of the day, I just have a bunch of songs that I want demo's of without paying a lot of cash for or scratching my head as to why the hell it won't sound the way I hear it in my head resulting in the total abandonment of the entire song completely.

Whatever... I will love it if it makes the life of this home self producer easier. If it delivers me a track with a mixing quality that seats ANYWHERE in the middle way between my own skills and a pro job I will be quite happy. For sure I will try it.

:)

Until a couple days ago I was VERY interested on this EZMix because being a self producer and doing the stuff for fun I was after an easy mix solution. Not that I was in this crazy hope that it could replace the job of a real engineer, nope, I am not that silly.

But I sincerely imagined that it was some kind of smart tool that would scan your whole song track by track, analyze them and finally apply a whole set of presets putting you in the middle of the way. So THIS would be an easy mix. But playing a bit with it I found it quite disapointing. In fact it is just another plugin bundle compilation like several others out there.

At the end of the day you still will have to learn all the aspects of EQ, compression, filters, effects, etc. I can't see where the 'easy' word applies here.

:o

On a side note: it may be fine for special effects.

Last edited:
Recording real drums just isn't very easy. I use ezdrummer because it sounds great for getting your songs put together. I can then afford to wait on somebody to put the drums on. It has a real useful place in the process.

Recording real drums just isn't very easy. I use ezdrummer because it sounds great for getting your songs put together. I can then afford to wait on somebody to put the drums on. It has a real useful place in the process.

It seems you did not read the topic of the thread zepfan...

Good way of working for you though. Many do it that way including myself sometimes. :)

Back