too much stick sound on cymbal

VTgreen81

How do I get rid of excessive stick sound on the ride cymbal? Should I sweep through the upper freqs till I can notch it out? Would it be fiddling with the attack setting on the compressor?

thanks.

try moving the mic away from where the drummer's hitting. I'm assuming you're hearing it in the OH mics. try adjusting them so they are facing the opposite end of where he's hitting it. A little EQ might help but may also remove some of the higher frequencies of the cymbal sound that you want left in.

Do you want to remove the PING or the STICK contacting the cymbal? If it's the stick you need to remove I'd re-track it because that is a bit of an equipment/technique screw up than anything else--meaning the drummer should unscrew their ride a bit more to loosen it up, learn to hit it in a resonant area, learn to tone down how hard they are hitting, or buy a new ride... or of course, move the mics. :)

If you are looking to reduce the ping I'd start looking somewhere around 5khz to 7khz. It'll be hiding there somewhere. It it's the stick you are looking to eliminate... hrm... maybe look around 3khz-4khz. That's not a problem I've had so off the top of my head I can't be 100%.

Or use a multiband compressor on that freq to tame it without loosing too much signal. Or hit it with some reverb and hope it gets covered up.

I was gonna say........

... not to be a dink, but change the stick.

Or the way that the drummer hits the cymbol.

Or change the cymbol ...... a real heavy cymbol will not usually record as well as a light cymbol.

You can try the corrective EQ techniques if you cant re-track but its better to correct the sonic issues at the source if possible, then move mics, then resort to EQ.

-mike

different sticks..thats histerical

What your looking for is in the 200 range...just sweep boost with your eq and hear that clanging sound---now just cut it. Sweep up the range for the ping and notch it down

Kronk said:
different sticks..thats histerical

What your looking for is in the 200 range...just sweep boost with your eq and hear that clanging sound---now just cut it. Sweep up the range for the ping and notch it down

200!!!!????? Wow I'd have thought MUCH higher than that. I'll try that for mixing practice, but I'm pretty eure now it's a mic placement thing, it's only on one song, same drummer same style, but the mics were moving all over the studio.

Back