Tom Lord-Alge

Status
Not open for further replies.

giraffe

i love negative rep
Tom Lord-Alge is currently my hero.
i really like the way his stuff sounds and you can usually tell something he did
from just one listen.

does anyone know anything about things he's known for dooing.

how are the low end of his recordings so much more tight and controoled than
most stuff i hear?

bblackwood said:
Nope.

Try skill.

multiband compression can give the tight low end and make your mixes sound very professional. Using punch-in single band compression on individual elements will give a controlled bottom end that can sound very professional. If the bottom band of the multi-band compression starts at 20hz and ends at around 50-60hz and you use punch-in compression to EQ it lower than the rest of the mix and give very short attack and compression settings it will sound very controlled. What is the best compressor for punch-in compression settings to make it sound very full and punchy? I have 1000+ dollars to sound professional in my mix.

Jesus, you learn quick don't you? this was posted a couple of hours ago. You must have read my essay on multiband compression.
BRIEFCASEMANX said:
HOW DO I GET THE "PUNCH-IN" EFFECT FROM COMPRESSING THE AUX SENDS? I WANT THE EFFECT THAT MAKES IT SOUND PUNCHY AND FULL WITH INCREASED DYNAMIC RANGE? THE PUNCH-IN MAKING IT BIGGER BETWEEN LOUDEST PARTS AND SMALLEST PARTS IN ORDER TO MAKE IT LOUDER THAN MY CDS? :confused:

CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW TO USE PUNCH-IN EFFECT WITH THE COMPRESSOR IN WHICH I/O, IN ORDER TO GET MY SOUND THE LOUDEST FOR ROCK MIXES.

AND SHOULD I USE REVERB WITH A PUNCHY COMPRESSED SOUND OR KEEP IT DRY?

An essay on multiband compression

Are you sitting comfortably? Many an afternoon has been enjoyed by a family, bonding over the discussion of multiband compression . Remarkably multiband compression is heralded by shopkeepers and investment bankers alike, leading many to state that spasmodically it returns to create a new passion amongst those who study its history. Inevitably multiband compression is often misunderstood by those politicaly minded individuals living in the past, many of whom fail to comprehend the full scope of multiband compression . With the primary aim of demonstrating my considerable intellect I will now demonstrate the complexity of the many faceted issue that is multiband compression .

Social Factors

Society is a simple word with a very complex definition. When Lance Bandaner said 'twelve times I've traversed the ocean of youthful ambition but society still collects my foot prints' [1] he was clearly refering to the impact of multiband compression on today's society. While deviating from the norm will always cause unrest amongst ones peers, multiband compression is crunchy on the outside but soft in the middle.

Primarily multiband compression builds trust among the people. Society says that every man must find their own truth. While one sees multiband compression , another may see monkeys playing tennis.

Economic Factors

We no longer live in a world which barters 'I'll give you three cows for that hat, it’s lovely.' Our existance is a generation which cries 'Hat - $20.' We will begin by looking at the Inter-Spam model, which I hope will be familiar to most readers. Market
Value
Of
Gold

multiband compression

What a splendid graph. Seemingly the market value of gold plays in increasingly important role in the market economy. What it all comes down to is money. Capitalists love multiband compression .

Political Factors

Politics - smolitics! Looking at the spectrum represented by a single political party can be reminiscent of comparing multiband compression ism and post-multiband compression ism.

One quote comes instantly to mind when examining this topic. I mean of course the words of style icon Kuuipo Lionel Forbes Dickinson 'political change changes politics, but where does it go?' [2] One cannot help but agree when faced with multiband compression , that this highlights an important issue. If I may be as bold as to paraphrase, he was saying that 'political ideals are built on the solid cornerstone of multiband compression .'

Why did multiband compression cross the road? - To get to the other side! Just my little joke, but lets hope that multiband compression doesn't inspire similar hilarity in the next elections.
Conclusion

We can say with certainty multiband compression must not be allowed to get in the way of the bigger question: why are we here? Putting this aside its of great importance. It inspires, influences the influencers,, though multiband compression brings with it obvious difficulties, it is truly multiband compression .

I will leave the last word to the famous Miles Hanks: 'It's been nice educating you.' [3]

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] Lance Bandaner - Adventurous Spirit - 1993 See-Saw Publishing

[2] Dickinson - I Am The Dickinster - 1999 Hughs Books

[3] Get On The Bus - Issue 321 - Media Books

I Have Used Multi-band Compression To Make The Sounds Like Lord Tom Alge. I Know He Was Using The Waves Plug-ins. Which Compressor For 1000k Will Make The Mixes Sound Better Than Lord Tom Alge?

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
I Have Used Multi-band Compression To Make The Sounds Like Lord Tom Alge. I Know He Was Using The Waves Plug-ins. Which Compressor For 1000k Will Make The Mixes Sound Better Than Lord Tom Alge?
Experience. Do the time and stop asking inane questions.

tom lord-alge is my bane. his mixes raped my mother and killed my father.

I read in an interview with Steve Vai like 15 years ago, that he asked Tom Lord-Alge for some help on one of his songs when he was working on PASSION & WARFARE. He wanted to get a very "rock and roll" type of sound on the drums/snare, and Tom came to his studio and helped him. This song (I can't remember which one it was on the CD, and I don't have the CD at the present time.. ) has the best sounding drums on the whole CD. Lots of punch and attitude. My impression was that Tom got the sound pretty damn fast... and I remember Steve described how he got the sound in the article. I think it was in an issue of GUITAR FOR THE PRACTICING MUSICIAN.

bblackwood said:
Experience. Do the time and stop asking inane questions.

DUDDE HAVE YOU USED THE WAVES PLUG-INS THEY SOUND BETTER THAN WHAT IS IN STUDIOS BECAUSE OF THE DIGITAL REVOLUTION, BRO. I COULD OUTMIX LORD TOM ALGE IF I HAD THE RIGHT PUNCH-IN COMPRESSION ALGORITHM TO ADD CLARITY. THIS IS WHAT SOUNDS GOOD. TRY NEUMANN MICS OUT DUDE. I JUST NEED A PUNCH-IN COMPRESSION THAT IS BETTER THAN THE WAVES(WHAT LORD TOM ALGE USES).

BRIEFCASEMANX said:
DUDDE HAVE YOU USED THE WAVES PLUG-INS THEY SOUND BETTER THAN WHAT IS IN STUDIOS BECAUSE OF THE DIGITAL REVOLUTION, BRO. I COULD OUTMIX LORD TOM ALGE IF I HAD THE RIGHT PUNCH-IN COMPRESSION ALGORITHM TO ADD CLARITY. THIS IS WHAT SOUNDS GOOD. TRY NEUMANN MICS OUT DUDE. I JUST NEED A PUNCH-IN COMPRESSION THAT IS BETTER THAN THE WAVES(WHAT LORD TOM ALGE USES).

Come on walters, get some sleep.

I Simply Asked U To Put Up Or Shut Up Or Don't Talk Crap Abotu Me. Your Posts Were Useless You Didn't Add Antything To The Discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back