Tips on mixing this rappers voice

SwurVe

Tips on mixing this rapper's voice

Hello,

There is a rapper named Serious from Florida who sends me his session files for me to mix....it seems though whenever i try to mix his voice it always doesnt still sound right to me....id ilke some tips maybe....on the chorus at the beginning it will sound a bit different cause i added an effect behind the main vocal on the 2nd layer of vocals but you can listen to the verse....

He told me he uses a Marshall MXL 990 and behringer pre amp....I dont think he uses a pop stopper im notsure....

any tips on how to mix his voice properly would be nice.....i dont seem to have this problem with anyone elses voice its just sometin to do wit his is makin it hard to mix.....

Last edited:
SwurVe said:
Hello,

There is a rapper named Serious from Florida who sends me his session files for me to mix....it seems though whenever i try to mix his voice it always doesnt still sound right to me....id ilke some tips maybe....on the chorus at the beginning it will sound a bit different cause i added an effect behind the main vocal on the 2nd layer of vocals but you can listen to the verse....

He told me he uses a Marshall MXL 990 and behringer pre amp....I dont think he uses a pop stopper im notsure....

any tips on how to mix his voice properly would be nice.....i dont seem to have this problem with anyone elses voice its just sometin to do wit his is makin it hard to mix.....

You really need to use some kind of a deesser to tame the top end and the plosives, I dont think that he used a pop screen.

Roll off the EQ a little between 4K and 16k. other than that it sound pretty nice! I would love to mix that song!

If i were to send you the .zip file would you mix it so then i could see a guideline of what you did? its ok if you dont want to....its just his rap voice for some reason i could never get to sound right

SwurVe said:
If i were to send you the .zip file would you mix it so then i could see a guideline of what you did? its ok if you dont want to....its just his rap voice for some reason i could never get to sound right

Yeah check your pm for the E-mail address what program was it recorded in?

SwurVe said:
Adobe Audition he recorded n and that is also the same program I use

Can you make sure that all the waves start at zero before you zipp them because I use Cubase SX3 unless AA will let you export the song as a OMF file that would be great too!!!!

"...front line man like a vietnam grenader"

"...You can't handle me, I'm underground like dirt.."

I'd say the best way to improve that track is CTRL-Z.

-c

Supercreep said:
"...front line man like a vietnam grenader"

"...You can't handle me, I'm underground like dirt.."

I'd say the best way to improve that track is CTRL-Z.

-c

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Back