Thrice Remix Contest...

i always wanted to remix a rock band..now let me see what i can do..good look

if anybody here likes the new thrice they should really check out a band called isis, since thrice ripped them off note for note on this new album.

treymonfauntre said:
if anybody here likes the new thrice they should really check out a band called isis, since thrice ripped them off note for note on this new album.

Haven't heard of Thrice but I really dig Isis!

have any of yall even really listened to these tracks....? they are horrible. I think all the guitars were run through amplitube... which is well nasty sounding. even the bass seems to have alot of it on it. Also everything with amplitube on it has a nasty peak right around 16k on each track. its horrible. has anyone else realized this?

i disagree. It doesnt sound like amplitube to me and i dont think they sound too bad either. The bass sounds like a DI from a classic original Ampeg VST to me.

I think the tracking on that was pretty tight considering how loud the music was. The only thing im not sure about is if thats really the drums tracks they used for mixing the original.

Makes you take a second look at your mixing once you hear what they did in the original song. Its not my favorite recording of the thrice cds. It definately sounds more raw and lively i think then their others.

Danny

any idea what the 16k peak is from on all the guitar and bass tracks tho? it seems everything was run through a similar distortion to give u a constant 16k peak that varies vary little.

ill check it out. I havnt noticed it yet because i usually high cut anyway. Im heading in the studio to mix right now and ill pull it up again.

you may be right. The guitars definately do not sound like their old style distortion guitar. I used to love that stuff. These guitars just seem average to me. But whoever mixed it on the original sure did change the sound.

danny

The guitars and bass sound fine to me. If they used an amp sim, I'd like to know which one and buy it. A little dissappointing that you only get the stems, not raw tracks. Still, it's always cool to get an inside look at "pro" mixes.

Honestly I have gotten the same sounds with IK Multimedia's amplitube. It's a cool vst plugin with alot of badass presets. I almost always use it on bass barely mixed in there just to kinda give it some more punch and fill the mix a bit better.

Samplitude is a pretty cool plugin. I didnt like it at first for general use but xstatic gave me the idea of trying it on DI bass and such. Works really great in that application.

Have you listened to the original of this. It really might be that the pro who mixed this actually did it off of that same drum stem. It sounds pretty close to the same. And adding some processing to it makes it work more than i expected. Its hard to say though. That was the thing that interested me the most.

Danny

i checked it out. Thats a really strange peak at 15,700hz. Not quite 16khz but close :D. That is very strange but i dont see how that really proves that it was Amplitube. (not samplitube, sorry for typo before). But i guess it could be the reason for it too. Maybe the engineer things thats a really cool sounding frequency for distortion guitar so he cranked i on tracking. It also has some stuff at 22khz. Not quite the same kind of peak but its something.

Anyway i wonder why this recording sounds so much crappier than their previous ones. Its not horrible and has a cool effect. But i loved there older recordings. Why did they feel like they needed such a dramatic change?

Danny

My experience with amplitube is that it does leave a strange boost around the frequency range. That is why I am kinda thinking that it is what it is but I don't really know for sure. I didn't know the exact frequency of it but my ears just told me it was somewhere in the general vicinity of 16k.... hey at least i was close.... haha its really not that audible if you are no thinking about it but once i realized it, it just started to bug me and everytime i listened to that song it just kinda poked out at me. I wish they would of sent the raw tracks so I could actually mix the kick and snare and the rest of the drums to my personal taste but I guess its more of a remixing contest as opposed to an actual mixing. But I have to admit I did like that track with the Digitech Whammy... granted the whammy isn't necessarily pristine or anything but hey its pretty killer for 200 bucks.

Back