Three different sounds

BroKen_H

Re-member
Has anyone else noticed that when you're in your DAW your song sounds nice, well balanced, ready. Then you render and the wav sounds the same. Convert to MP3 and it's still pretty nice. But then when you load your MP3 to soundcloud, it sounds a lot different...and reverbnation sounds different still. I know a good mix should translate across the board, but when the bass is louder, or the guitars pop out more, or your cymbals just kind of die...

Am I missing something obvious, or do I just need to EQ my mixes differently for the different sites?

Soundcloud does something pretty horrible to audio. It'sgeared for speed, not quality.

They also use loudness normalisation, not sure if it's done at the encoding stage (but I'd presume it is) which might have an effect if it's hard coded into the files.

I haven't tested making a separate mix for each service, but I'd be interested to hear if it makes a difference in a positive way :)

I've read (here) to upload only WAV to soundcloud, the MP3 X MP3 conversion at SC will suck the crap out of your mix (and I've heard it happen to my mixes).
I've never noticed it on reverbnation - now I'm going to have to check! The solution, I guess to that is to only post snippets (or demo versions) and point people to the *good* versions using the 'buy' links. Bandcamp keeps full res versions up.

my mate does that and his mixes are superb on soundcloud

I convert to MP3, but in the Best Quality, Standard Variable and it seems like soundcloud just takes it straight and doesn't convert. Just loaded a song and it uploaded and processed in less than a minute.

I've been sending 44.1 320kbps MP3s to Soundcloud. I think I'll have to go to WAV. Didn't know till this post that that was an option. I always send 192 MP3s to RN because of space limitations...that's why they sound different, but what can you do. Think I'll have to look into Bandcamp. Still lots to learn out there.

Back