For those with only inserts (no direct outs)

ROBOTQUALITYREC

i came into the above problem. i found a little diagram to help me out. those who also have this problem know the only way to deal with it is to plug a trs cable in the jack "one click" in which can be risky. the solution involves a little soldering but if you cant do it im sure you can find someone to help you. its easy! and its much better then buying the $10 "adapter cable" ive seen in AMS.

Attachments

• trs mod.jpg
    trs mod.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 121
why is it risky to do the "one click" method?

theres some downfalls to doing it but ive never considered it risky..........

Great info ROBOTQUALITYREC!

That's the kind of contribution that makes a forum like this worth while.

:cool:

hey gidge, i just think its risky because theres a chance you could get a momentary loss of signal cause of a loose connection. nothing worse than telling someone who just laid down a perfect track they have to do it over again. this way the plug is secure. thats all.

Hmmm.....

So you mean the insert would be a direct out with that cable? Wouldn't a mono cable do the same thing? Or am I not understand what is trying to be achieved here.

sonicpaint
:D

When I have to use a S/R in stead of a direct out, I would use a S/R cable. I would send the signal from the board to the recording device, then use the return to bring the signal back from the recorder to the mixer. I would suggest getting a patch bay to go between the Mixer and Recorder, that way you can still use the insert function pre or post of the recorder and not have to keep unplugging all of your cables.

Fishmed is right, but the cable you are making will work fine. It is just fooling the mixer pre into thinkg you have sent the signal and it is being returned all while creating a direct out of that channel. I have done this many times, for spliting a live signal at the mixer for inputing that track into my roland so I can record the raw track while not affecting the live sound.

Back