Tascam MM-20 mixer questions

birdie3

Hello. This is my first thread so I appologize if this comes across as if I am an uninformed newbie. Unfortunately I am - so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I recently acquired a Tascam MM-20 mixer and I wanted to know more about it. It appears to be rather difficult to find information on this particular item and I figured this board would be a good place to ask.

* Where can I find information on this item (ie: manual, specs etc..)?
* Are there other essential items I would need to use with this item (the reason I ask is I noticed there is no meter bridge)?
* What is the value of this item (this MM-20 is in really good shape)?
* What other Tascam modules from the time period work well with this mixer?

Hopefully someone here can help me out with this. Thanks again!!

The manual download will explain everything.

The other matching components to the MM-20 are:
EX-20 (channel expander)
PE-20 (Parametric EQ)
MB-20 (Meter bridge)

I've seen the entire 20-Series components auction as a complete set, on several occasions. I've seen them as single components, too. Watch Ebay for the matching components.

Thanks gang!!

I saw the one that guy has for sale earlier via Google BTW ;-) but I did not see the manual download on that page. Cool. I will download the manual sometime soon (56k -cough-). As for the other components.. I usually do check ebay for things like this. I would assume that these are somewhat scarce as there doesn't appear to be anything on there currently or in the completed searches. Can anyone provide testimonials as to whether this is a good unit to start out with?

Yeah. That guy just put that on there this morning. He's in Canada too. Hopefully some of the seperate components come up for grabs soon. Seems a tad strange that these are all seperate as opposed to being in one unit. Maybe one might not need every piece. We will mainly be using this for recording drums, guitars, bass, and vocals. I suspect we may also use it for mixing with the P.A. and monitors etc...

Strange?

It was designed as a modular system, from conception. The theory went that it was more flexible that way. :eek: ;)

The other matching components to the MM-20 are:
EX-20 (channel expander)
PE-20 (Parametric EQ)
MB-20 (Meter bridge)

I've seen the entire 20-Series components auction as a complete set, on several occasions. I've seen them as single components, too. Watch Ebay for the matching components.

Hi: I just got the following:

AX-20 (down-mixer)
EX-20 (channel expander)
PE-20 (Parametric EQ)

and am looking for the manuals. Can anyone help?

Thanks

Hello. This is my first thread so I appologize if this comes across as if I am an uninformed newbie. Unfortunately I am - so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

I recently acquired a Tascam MM-20 mixer and I wanted to know more about it. It appears to be rather difficult to find information on this particular item and I figured this board would be a good place to ask.

* Where can I find information on this item (ie: manual, specs etc..)?
* Are there other essential items I would need to use with this item (the reason I ask is I noticed there is no meter bridge)?
* What is the value of this item (this MM-20 is in really good shape)?
* What other Tascam modules from the time period work well with this mixer?

Hopefully someone here can help me out with this. Thanks again!!

The MM-20 was part of the "System 20," a group of units that when put together would in give much the same functions as the M-30 8X4 mixer. Instead of assign switches, one had to patch to send signal to a given place. A plus was that any individual unit could be used as a "stand-alone" piece. The Tascam folks figured that this would be a relatively inexpensive way of getting into the multitrack game, especially when coupled with the 22-4 & 22-2 machines. Those already with gear could use the accessory units as add-ons to their existing systems. They were almost right. The gear was good value for the money but the sales force out in the real world didn't understand how to use or sell it so the series did not meet expectations.

The PE-20 eq is my favorite unit of this line. I have a pair of them eq-ing my reverb sends and returns to this day.

The MB-20 meter bridge, was actually the 1st unit in this group as it was originally the companion to the Model 2 and 2A 6X4 mixers. Those mixers sucked but the MB-20 was quite an accurate little device. It was the only TEAC/Tascam meter that was not frequency sensitive so one could use it for calibration. None of their machine or console units could make that claim. That, by a large part, is why so many people bitched about the sound of TASCAM machines. The internal meters were usually only accurate at one frequency and weighted for anything on either side. Using those internal meters for biasing or record/playback eq adjustments was sonic suicide.

This guy is offering one for $50. He also has a manual you can download.

notallowedtoposturlsyetsoican't postthequoted URL :rolleyes:
Google is your friend. :)

unfortunately i tried the link and got a 404 (forgot to check the date of your post but i assume it was a while back.

google didn't find anything (i suspect he secretly hates me and wishes scabies upon me).

anyone know the tascam site?
theres' an mm20 for sale in melbourne for 120 and it's something i may have a use for but i want to know more about it first.

p.s. (off topic) - what do people think of the yamaha AW16G hard disk recorders?

cheers

TAscam System 20 Mixing Console set

I have a full Tascam System 20 mixing console set I'm putting up for sale on Craigslist San Diego. It includes Tascam Sysem 20 "MM-20", "PE-20", "EX-20", "MU-20"(Meter Bridge), and Instruction Manual. I'm offering the lot for $200. Here is a link to the listing (9-5-14) Tascam-System 20 mixing console

Attachments

• complete.jpg
    complete.jpg
    742.6 KB · Views: 86
  • manual.jpg
    manual.jpg
    449.1 KB · Views: 70
Back