Sweeping EQ effect

bassgirl4

Okay, so I'd like some help in how to achieve a sweeping EQ effect if anyone knows what I mean. So for example at the beginning of a song, I want it to sound sort of muffled and bass bassy, and then gradually sweep to sounding normal.

I'm using Presonus Studio One 2 Artist

Any ideas how to do this? Thanks

I can automate every parameter in my DAW (Ableton Live), look to see how you can use automation on the EQ plug in on your DAW instructions.

Okay, so I'd like some help in how to achieve a sweeping EQ effect if anyone knows what I mean. So for example at the beginning of a song, I want it to sound sort of muffled and bass bassy, and then gradually sweep to sounding normal.

I'm using Presonus Studio One 2 Artist

Any ideas how to do this? Thanks

hey, i think i get the idea you are going for. Since you are using SO2, see if you have access to the "autofilters" in the effects column. I have SO2 pro, but i'm not sure if the Artist version has it. I am suggesting this method because it might be a one-click solution, as opposed to some other method. The envelope filters have a time adjustment knob as well as the frequency range, for fine tuning. there are many other knobs and gadgets within the filters.

if this is for the entire track, as an intro to a dance song perhaps, you may have to bounce the entire mix first and then import that file onto a new track, then insert the filter onto that new track (which is bounce of the entire song).

i'd like to hear it when it's done, if you want to post it in the mp3 clinic.

Cool, pretty sure the automation will give you the result you are hoping for. Now just how to dial it in ;)

There are a couple ways to do it.

1. Create a group track and send the entire mix to it. Insert an eq and automate it.

2. Mix down the song and bring it into the session. Filter the track that the mix down is on. Start the song with just the filtered mix going. Fade out the filtered mix while fading in everything else.

Obviously automation is the "proper" way to do this sort of thing but sometimes a quick cheat is to simply create a duplicate track, apply the effect you want to the max amount, then simply mix from one track to the other as you go. Not as elegant as using the automation bells and whistles but it can be an easy cheat.

I'm sure you figured it out but just in case someone finds this through a google search or something, here are the generic instructions for pretty much any daw:

1. Take all tracks and group them up to a group track.
2. Place an eq on the group track (TBH I wouldn't personally do this on the master track)
3. Open up the eq and turn on write automation.
4. Turn on the highest band and set it to a low pass filter.
5. Start with the band as low as it can go (20hz? IDK sometimes there are a limit to each band IDK)
6. Start playing the track and sweep the frequency all the way up to 20kHz.
7. You should be done, feel free to edit the automation curve you created after the fact.

Alternatively if you have a filter plugin you can sweep/automate the cutoff knob instead on that. Keep the resonance knob low and use one of the LPF options on the plugin.

Back