Superior Drummer - working backwards...

andrushkiwt

I've lost (deleted) the MIDI files for many of my song's drumming parts. I'm wondering if I'm able to recover them, basically, by approaching this backwards.

We know you can bounce the MIDI tracks out your DAW and have access to the wav's of each track. We also know you can use an out source, like drum pads, to create the MIDI files as you play. So....

Would it be possible to use the wav's (that I still have access to) to create MIDI? That way, I can have it like it was before I bounced them and reprogram them over again, where needed. I'm just thinking it might somehow be possible to have the wav's trigger the MIDI SD pieces just like they were incoming signals via electronic drum kit.

I have zero idea how to do this, if it's even possible. An obvious issue would be room noise/ambiance burned into the OH mic, for example, of the wav file. Perhaps it only takes peaks? Is this a ridiculous idea? Anyone?

I know Cubase uses something called Hitpoint Detection which designed for exactly that purpose. There should be 3rd party hit detectors out there, too. Engineers use them to re-sample drums all the time. It's kind of a common thing, I guess. I don't know specifics, but a google search of drum resample might lead you to something.

I know Cubase uses something called Hitpoint Detection which designed for exactly that purpose. There should be 3rd party hit detectors out there, too. Engineers use them to re-sample drums all the time. It's kind of a common thing, I guess. I don't know specifics, but a google search of drum resample might lead you to something.

I'm reading online that it's a problem with OH's and stereo tracks. This might be more trouble than I'm willing to go through. Eh, thanks guys. I might just rewrite some of them.

I'm reading online that it's a problem with OH's and stereo tracks. This might be more trouble than I'm willing to go through. Eh, thanks guys. I might just rewrite some of them.

Taras, I would assume that this would be very difficult to pull off. Even if you got something to "listen" to the beats, distinguishing between the different notes could be hard. I am sure someone out there has something that would work with the technology we have today.

Well if your working with multi track drums a vst trigger app could work like apulSoft apTrigga, or AudioFont DSP Trigger. I haven't used any in a very long time but I'm willing to bet most have a way to out put midi.
If you are using a single stereo track then you have to get creative with EQ'ing out kit pieces one track/piece at a time so the VST would have a single transient to pick up on.

Essentially what you're wanting to do is like drum replacement, but with a twist.

Sorry, I have to ask - how did you delete the MIDI files for MANY of your songs? Don't you make backups, save songs under new file names as you work on them?

Sorry, I have to ask - how did you delete the MIDI files for MANY of your songs? Don't you make backups, save songs under new file names as you work on them?

Well, when I'm finished writing the drums in the MIDI editor, I bounce them out as individual wav tracks into my daw for mixing. Since I then have individual files, I just delete Superior Drummer to free up processing power. Unfortunately, I never thought to save the MIDI file before I deleted it. I do it now, but there were a few songs that I'm interested in putting on an album but have no drum control.

I'll probably end up retracking guitars and rewriting drums. No biggie.

Are you sure they're really missing?? In Cubase, you can delete a track from the timeline, but the actual data remains on the hard drive unless you specifically delete it. In Cubase, it prompts you to do so when you close it. Maybe Studio One does the same thing.... ???

Are you sure they're really missing?? In Cubase, you can delete a track from the timeline, but the actual data remains on the hard drive unless you specifically delete it. In Cubase, it prompts you to do so when you close it. Maybe Studio One does the same thing.... ???

I've searched all MIDI files in windows search bar and only the last few month's worth show. That's about the time I stopped deleting them.

Well, when I'm finished writing the drums in the MIDI editor, I bounce them out as individual wav tracks into my daw for mixing. Since I then have individual files, I just delete Superior Drummer to free up processing power. Unfortunately, I never thought to save the MIDI file before I deleted it. I do it now, but there were a few songs that I'm interested in putting on an album but have no drum control.

I'll probably end up retracking guitars and rewriting drums. No biggie.

That's too bad. Obviously, if you never saved the MIDI file, there's no deleted file to recover. You can't access/write MIDI- SD in Studio One, rather than run it as stand-alone?? It's so much easier to edit in your DAW to fit the rest of the tracks as the song develops/gets tracked/mixed.

Back