Success! Fixing a wet, reverb soaked bass line

I've been working on this for weeks and I FINALLY got it figured out so I thought I'd share in case anyone else had a problem like this :
Been working on a song, tracks came from a friend who lives far away. He printed the bass line with reverb. SWAMPED In reverb, which sounds good on its own but made the low end of the mix a muddy mess. Re recording it myself wasn't an option because.... Well, he's really good and I couldn't pull it off. I tried demo versions of a couple de verb plugins, didn't work. Tried a Ton of stuff, was about to just scrap the song entirely but I finally got it. This won't totally remove the reverb, rather it helps bring the low end up front where it needs to be. Here goes...

Isolated the mono. Much of the reverb tail was stereo, not actually stereo being that it's a mono track but left and right if that makes sense. The meat was in the middle , so I used a free plugin called bass lane, which allows you dial in the frequencies of what u want to keep mono. There's a 'difference' button which isolates only the memory information. That alone helped alot.

Did a frequency sweep to find the nasty, ringing, muddy frequencies and cut those down. Which left the bass kinda thin but there was still some good sub information about 90 hz and lower so I wanted to try to isolate that as well.
So I used Maxx bass to enhance the subby, low low bass where u feel it more than you hear it. By pressing the 'Maxx bass' button, you can basically isolate the harmonic rich lows and zero percent of the original bass

What was left was basically the up front feel - it-in-your-chest frequencies which sound weird on there own but I saved it as a separate copy and blended it with the original. On the original, I hi passed to where the attack of the notes were more present but the Mudd was gone. Blended together, it finally sounds good. Yes the reverb sound is still there, which is fine, but at least now it doesn't sound like it's in the back of a large room, the lows are where they need to be.

This may have been alot of un nessisary steps, and if anyone our there has a quicker way, by all means share. This us what worked for me so hopefully it can help someone else.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good work man! Some times you need all the tools in the box and there's not much else you can do about it.
Congrats on finding a solution that worked. :)

Yeah, sometimes it take some creative trickery to get the best from poor sounding audio. Been there...

Congrats!

Back