stutter effect in vocals?

freakkguitarist

what do you guys do to get the skpping vocal effect? or on any instrument, do you just cut the track so it cuts out in time? if so, how do you make it so there are no pops or clicks. or is there an effect like a really really dramatic tremelo effect that can be synced to the tempo track?

I usually hire either Mel Tillis or Bob Newhart, whoever is available. ;) :D But seriously...

This is the kind of stuff that non-linear digital editing on the computer has made super easy. All you gotta do is repeatedly copy and paste the section you want to "stutter".

As far as clicks and pops at the edits, make your edits at matching zero crossings of the waveform - i.e. make the cut right where the waveform is crossing the center line, and where the wavefrom is heading in the same direction (up or down) as the clip it's butting up against. Sometimes even a little overlap (just a few ms) with crossfade can help smooth the joint out as well.

By cutting at zero points and where hopefully the waves are not too big - i.e. where there is not a lot of volume anyway - you can select the proper length, or you can pick the right "sounding" stutter that'll edit cleanly. From there you can time stretch or shrink that clip with your editor to get it to fit the tempo. Of course the closer you get to the tempo to begin with - the less you have to stretch or shrink - the better it will sound.

G.

freakkguitarist said:
what do you guys do to get the skpping vocal effect? or on any instrument, do you just cut the track so it cuts out in time? if so, how do you make it so there are no pops or clicks. or is there an effect like a really really dramatic tremelo effect that can be synced to the tempo track?

The easiest way to do this is to use a gate with a sidechain. Feed a hi-hat or separate track that is synced to the tempo into the sidechain and feed the the vocal or instrument into the gate.

I was talking with a really great and cool jass bass player and he refered to the technique as "chopped and retarded.":D

You just cut bits out of the tracks. He was referring to untimed quick cuts that are random....er, creative genius. If you need unique cuts that are timed you'll have to do it in grid mode by hand.

-C

Back