Stupid Equipment Manufacturers!!

13th_Omen

Alright, I have to vent. I am in the market for an all in one DAW, fith full mixing capabilities including automation. All of the models I have checked out have a stupid arrangement of inputs. When I say stupid I mean that they boast "16 channels at once" but really mean 8 xlr's, and 8 ADAT opticals, or other inputs. Really, what I need is something set up like my current mixer, 16 inputs, all containing both xlr and TRS 1/4" inputs. It makes sense to me!! I am using a 16 channel snake from the recording room to the control room! Ok, and would someone like to explain to me why they have 16 track models but only 8 faders!! I am lost here. I can't honestly understand how people manage to record a whole band with eight tracks. I understand that you "can" but all of the music that I will be recording (my own band) has spots where I may need to turn up just one rack tom, or the high-hats. You know what I mean? I need 9 tracks just for drums alone!!....(deep breathe)whew!

It's all about price point for their intended market.

For the hobby recordist, I/O needs are minimal..... if the prosumer stuff doesn't suit your needs, it's probably time to start looking at more serious tools!

In regards to "more serious tools" what are you referring to? I might be able to extend my budget a little if it means getting what I need - which is a recording medium (i currently have one ADAT but intend to get another for 16 tracks), a mixing method, and automation capabilities. That is why I intended to get another ADAT and the Mackie Ultramix, but it makes more sense to me to get a DAW where the mixer and recording medium are together, no need for either to be seperate.

MOTU has 24-channel interfaces that allow you to use your DAW for tracking/mixing....

I would argue that there still is a need for them to be separate, since for myself, I can't stand the way s/w sums tracks - nor do I think the majority of plug-ins are "up-to-snuff".....

YMMV......

MOTU has 24-channel interfaces that allow you to use your DAW for tracking/mixing....

Ok, so if i got the MOTU 24, all i would have to do is run the snake to the mixer, the channel outs to the MOTU, and the MOTU would run them into my computer? Any idea how flexibal the software (Audiodesk) is and if i would be able to do automation? As you can see... I am sort of lost here! I still would like to know how you manage to control 2 channels with one fader as well!:(

Do you need to record 16 tracks at once??
Do you want an all in one unit that has mic pres in the same unit or do you want to use a mixer?

Tukkis

Audiodesk will give you automation for mixing for a MAC based computer. Version 2 gives you more options, but is DP is the full flegged app to get. If your on a PC that's a different story.
check here for different options .
http://motu.com/

If you're on a MAC, ask away.

T

13th_Omen said:
Ok, so if i got the MOTU 24, all i would have to do is run the snake to the mixer, the channel outs to the MOTU, and the MOTU would run them into my computer? Any idea how flexibal the software (Audiodesk) is and if i would be able to do automation? As you can see... I am sort of lost here! I still would like to know how you manage to control 2 channels with one fader as well!:(

Do you need to record 16 tracks at once??

Yes, I need 16 tracks at once. I already have a mixer so I don't neccasarily need mic pres.

If you're on a MAC, ask away.

I currently am not on anything! I am going to build the computer to fit whatever setup I decide to go with.

My curiosity got the best of me.

Why 16 tracks at once? Just trying to learn...

Thanks,

Earl

If you already have a mixer then why not get a HDR like the Alesis HDR or Mackie SDR. You get 24ch of simultaneous i/o and you can upgrade the mixer when you have the cash.

Is there an inherent problem with doing 8 channels on the onboard mic preamps and 8 channels of ADAT? Several of the recorders will do that for 16 channels simultaneously (use your current ADAT as a bridge by taking your analog inputs through your mixer into the ADAT, then lightpipe out to your all-in-one unit).

You might also want to consider a somewhat hybrid of what has been discussed. You mentioned you already had an ADAT and were considering a second unit. With a second unit in conjunction with a digital mixer like a Tascam DM24, you would have the full automation features you seem to want (with 16 faders) and it will give you a fairly stable platform for doing lots of tracks at once.

Other solutions get into setting up a multichannel DAW with an interface like the MOTU 24i/o or even a ProTools Digi001 or Digi002R. With these options then you would rely on your software of choice for your automation.

Whichever way you go, to get to 16 tracks simultaneously with some level of automation, it's gonna cost about the same (roughly $3k in my estimation).

FWIW,
Darryl.....

An Allen and Heath Zed R 16 will solve your problem. 16 ins with faders, inserts, preamps, also 4 aux sends, and you can use the line inputs for returns on analog gear. 1 firewire cable carries it to the computer and back again for analog mixdowns Also, you can use the 16 ADAT lightpipe inputs and outputs to go to other gear if you want.
It solved all my problems.
Judson

I know, eh? But you know what? It would be easy to blame a newb, but the fact is, the search function on this site doesn't help matters.

I suggested they put a time limit on bump-able threads to keep this from happening. It got ignored. Or maybe it's not possible with vbulletin.

I suggested they put a time limit on bump-able threads to keep this from happening. It got ignored. Or maybe it's not possible with vbulletin.
All they have to do is "close for comment" all threads that are more than, say, 1 year old. That way they are still searchable and readable for the sake of learning.

All they have to do is "close for comment" all threads that are more than, say, 1 year old. That way they are still searchable and readable for the sake of learning.

I thought a warning popped up when you tried to bump a thread with no replies in x years, but I just checked and apparently there's no warning.
I'll ask about it. :)

I'm not sure about auto-close, though.
It's rare, but once in a while a very old thread gets bumped for good reason.

It's rare, but once in a while a very old thread gets bumped for good reason.

Some years ago I started a thread about power switch problems on my firepod and how to fix them. Quite regularly that thread gets bumped by people with the same problem (which is not a good look for Presonus) looking for answers.

But in this case, someone was just bursting with excitement to provide a piece of information that they had that they just flew past the date.

Back