Studio One, help

Well this track I've already burned em and the guitars are all set.

Wait. If this is the case, then what I said shouldn't apply, unless I'm mis-understanding. If the guitars are "already burned", then the signal and waveform should be the processed guitar + sim. If that's the case, then turning that waveform up and down SHOULD make a difference after all.

Wait. If this is the case, then what I said shouldn't apply, unless I'm mis-understanding. If the guitars are "already burned", then the signal and waveform should be the processed guitar + sim. If that's the case, then turning that waveform up and down SHOULD make a difference after all.

^^.

In PT I can automate volume (fader) or clip gain (pre-insert).
You probably have the same choice in there somewhere.

With regard to vocals, one of them will just push your compressor harder, and the other will turn up the final output without affecting any balances or plugin gain stages.

Yeah there's just some confusion here. When I mentioned the guitars not changing much to my ears, I was just saying in general. The times I've tried it. Not here or anytime recently. Here and now I'm talking about vocals. Which are not burned yet. There is a difference there when I adjust the form, but I'm wondering if it's causing minor issues like a phasey sound. I want to test it out.

But no, guitars were just a past example. They were not burned before and turning the waveform didn't seem to do much. What you said is probably the reason why. When I move the burned ones on the current track, they are noticeably different in volume.

Man, if I had to make one more recording of myself counting to music, I would have put out an album.:eek:

If you haven't checked everything...give it another look if there's a way to manually input volume levels rather than just dragging level lines, which is kinda crude in most cases.

I'm not sure about what andrushkiwt was trying to do, because I couldn't find a way to just directly enter a desired dB level for a snippet of an audio clip, but you can definitely enter a given dB level for the whole track. I haven't looked at the manual yet, but the only way I can see to do that for a snippet of a track is to add another track and drag the snipped section to it, then it's easy to just type a desired dB level for that bit.

People don't know about Studio One. Man. It gets a smashing around here sometimes, not sure why.

The same is often true for other DAWs that most of the folks here aren't familiar with. Don't let it bother you. :) The bottom line is that DAWs can be a very personal preference as far as which ones you love, which ones you merely like, which ones you can tolerate if you must, and which ones you absolutely loathe! So once people find a DAW they can figure out how to use, that does what they need it to in the ways that they need it to, and that has a GUI which resonates harmoniously with the colors and vibrations of their auras (or whatever-- I sound like Janice on The Muppets), it's understandable that they aren't going to be much interested in looking at or trying to learn about other DAWs. And even if they'd already looked at a given DAW and found it lacking for one reason or other, it might have changed a good bit since then. Anyway, one person's DAW is another person's dawg. ;)

People don't know about Studio One. Man. It gets a smashing around here sometimes, not sure why.

I wasn't "smashing" Studio One.
Remember, you're the one who started the thread with a Studio One problem you were having. :)

I'm only going by what you described and I agree that level changes with 0.7 increments would be a PITA for me too if that's all my DAW allowed.
All I said was...I would think there's another way to do something other than 0.7...but if not...ahhh...mmm....well, it's your call. ;)

And you can just do it as 4/4 and save RAMI from having to count to the music again...though it was fun listening to it. :D

Studio One lets you create fades, edit volume, and splice tracks by highlighting the recorded piece. However, the volume only changes in increments of 0.7db exactly...is there a way to set this level? The manual doesn't address it. This is my go-to for manually editing vocal levels when it's minor bumps here and there. It's easier than automation (ironic) but sometimes 0.5 or 1db will do, and I find the 0.7 to be arbitrary.

Anyone?

Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

Hold down the SHIFT key while you click/drag the region.

EDIT: by the way, do to the SHIFT/click-drag thing, you don't have to hit F2 first; you can change the level for the regions in the events in the tracks. Of course, you can do it in the Edit View as well.

(man, it got painful wading through all the comments to get here...actually, I skipped pages 2 & 3)

Last edited:
Ding ding ding, we have a winner!

Hold down the SHIFT key while you click/drag the region.

EDIT: by the way, do to the SHIFT/click-drag thing, you don't have to hit F2 first; you can change the level for the regions in the events in the tracks. Of course, you can do it in the Edit View as well.

(man, it got painful wading through all the comments to get here...actually, I skipped pages 2 & 3)

ah, thanks everyone. coooool. i was following one the first responses in simply making the soundwave bigger in the window, then the increments changed. But holding the button down while moving the volume block is def easier.

thanks guys, really much appreciated

Hi,,

Yes, shift and drag will change the wav level,,,
Zoomed in, hieght or width does give finer adjustment,,
You can also Double click that drag handle, allowing data entree, specific,,

But you can also open the inspector and at the bottom you will see the gain level box, double click and enter as well...

Also the shift hold on the fader allows for smaller increments while dragging, click and hold to drag the fader, then hold shift, and smaller increments,,

Cheers :D

Hi,,

Yes, shift and drag will change the wav level,,,
Zoomed in, hieght or width does give finer adjustment,,
You can also Double click that drag handle, allowing data entree, specific,,

But you can also open the inspector and at the bottom you will see the gain level box, double click and enter as well...

Also the shift hold on the fader allows for smaller increments while dragging, click and hold to drag the fader, then hold shift, and smaller increments,,

Cheers :D

thank you dear sir

Back