Studio One 4

andrushkiwt

No PreSonus brand forum, so thought I'd post this here. Anyone pick this up yet? I found a link to upgrade from any Pro version (I'm running V2) for $149. I'm trying to find out if their stock plugs have been rebuilt. I'm a big user and fan of V2's Pro EQ, but I wonder if they redo those plugins when they start a new version.

Anything you find particularly cool about this new version? Also, do things like latency and general workflow improve with each new version?

F it. I'm too impatient. :) Rather start early in the day with installing a new DAW and potentially moving around vst's and files than do this at night. I'll post my experience with it later.

Install went fast and smooth. Files all there. Plugins all there. Problem now is that plugins are opening very, very small. Some are unusable because of this, particularly Superior Drummer. There's a Reddit thread about this with a recommendation to fix, but it didn't work for a number of other users. Still trying to figure this out.

edit: the reddit tip worked. Plugins working and appearing fine. Now, just need to get used to the new look. Not a fan of the vst's display showing in the right plugin list... I know what it looks like, I don't need a picture of it. Just the name will work. :)

I want to add the MIDI editor is freaking awesome. Much improved over V2.

I love having a little thread all to myself. nah-nah-nah-nahnah

I watched only a few minutes of the live webcast yesterday, but it was interesting how many of the live comments that people were posting to the right of the video seemed to be along the lines of "Meh, you can do that with such-and-such"-- until they showed how you can change the keys and/or chord types shown in the top row and it would automatically adjust the notes and harmonies of those bars in all of the MIDI and audio tracks to conform to the new keys/chord types, at which point everyone started talking about how they were upgrading right now.

I'm also impatient. Rather start early in the day with installing a new DAW and potentially moving around vst's and files than do this at night. I'll post my experience with it later.

not using Studio right now but it is supposed to be included if you buy a presonus studio 1810 (or any of them, I guess). I've been using GB which came with my Mac. I liked what I saw about Reaper and that would probably have been my next DAW. But if I get that presonus, I probably wouldn't turn down taking a look at Studio.

would I be able to open my GarageBand files in there? Import them or whatever it's called?

not using Studio right now but it is supposed to be included if you buy a presonus studio 1810 (or any of them, I guess). I've been using GB which came with my Mac. I liked what I saw about Reaper and that would probably have been my next DAW. But if I get that presonus, I probably wouldn't turn down taking a look at Studio.

would I be able to open my GarageBand files in there? Import them or whatever it's called?

Transferring Projects Between Different DAWs |

I've used V3 for a long while and was hoping for good things with V4. Sadly, it seems entirely aimed at amateur loop and beat assemblers, with no improvements at all to MIDI handling (long ago written off by Presonus as 'old hat') or features useful to musicians. The chord recogniser is no use to me as I know how chords work and can easily change them myself quickly. Studio One was regarded as a good 'pro plus am' DAW but with this 'upgrade' obviously sees a larger market in the non-pro sector.

So.? , how much better is v4 than v2 / which i still use.

Other than the MIDI editor, I don't see too much reason to upgrade. Latency stayed the same. Oh, there's new synths, though I'm not entirely sure they aren't available in V3. Like mentioned above, the new chord thingy is there, but I have no use for it.

Haven't come across anything entirely new that I couldn't have lived without before.

That scratchpad feature seems useful. Idk where but I think they might have upgraded their timestretch alg too just in case you wanted to turn all your regular ol songs into shoegaze ;)

I don't have any of the paid editions myself, just the free Studio One 3 Prime. If I remember from when Studio One 3 was released, the free edition doesn't usually come out until several months after the paid editions, so I'm hoping Studio One 4 Prime will eventually be available. The free edition is definitely "lite" and not really suitable for serious musicians/producers, but is still a good way to get a taste of the DAW to see how you like it.

Back