Studio monitor size help

I keep on hearig about calibrating your monitors.
Why? Why is this so important?

In a nutshell, because your hearing is not linear with frequency ref sound level, the Equal Loudness Contours (used to be the Fletcher/Munsen curves in my younger days) . Higher SPLs give a greater impression of bass and treble but not quite so much of the latter. So, the LEVEL you harken at determines the response you mix to.
If that were not trouble enough, YOU do not have the same hearing day to day (and long sessions will 'tire out' your hearing causing you to make bad judgements). Having a constant, a fixed level that you monitor at means that no matter how ***t you feel, you are getting the same sound balance. Of course IF things sound very bad but the calibration is still bob on, jack it for the duration!

The STOOODIO calibration spec is around 83dBC but many will find this too loud for domestic use. No matter, calibrate to the higher 'proper' level but then back off to say 70/75dBC for general use, 'giving it large' now and again for a check.

There are precious few constants and standards in this audio world we inhabit but monitors CAN be one such and at minimal cost and effort.

Dave. (now, Where's that meter!)

Hmmm. Familiar with all the principles outlined by Dave.
Personally I always monitor at low levels where you can have a conversation with someone else at normal speaking volumes
And an spl meter for consistency? Don't see the point. All I have to do is look at my master fader. I know the sweet spot. All it takes is a glance.

Anyway thanks for y'alls insight.
:D

Back