Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Studio monitor size help

Thanks
    Sign in to disable this ad
    Quote Originally Posted by M3TA1 View Post
    I have acoustic panels/foam on the walls. So it's partially treated.
    I will be going more in depth and doing some better treatment, adding bass traps, once I get new monitors.
    Foam IS NOT acoustic treatment. It absorbs a certain frequency range, leaving the real problem stuff alone. Budget for rockwool bass traps when you upgrade your monitors, or better yet, do the treatment first, then save some more money and get new monitors.
    Mike B My new album on CD Baby: Fact and Fiction
    My Bandcamp site: http://mikebirchmusic.bandcamp.com

Thanks
    I do appreciate all the advice on acoustic treatment.. With that being said, I'm not really having any troubles with my room in particular. . It's something that's on my list for later.

I've had my M-Audios for over 4 years now in the same room and place and they are all I have ever mixed on. I haven't owned another paid of monitors. I'm just looking for something better and different..

The Focal's and Yamaha's I mentioned have a better frequency response and seem to be widely used and have good ratings. I'm not sure whether I should go for the Yamaha HS7/HS8 or Focal Alpha 65/80. Based on what I've mentioned in my first post here, what would be better suited? 6.5" monitors or 8" monitors? And what would be better in my case, the Focal's or Yamaha's?
    I'd really appreciate some advice on this.

Thanks
    Get the bigger ones. Headroom is good and sometimes loud is fun.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ashcat_lt View Post
    Get the bigger ones. Headroom is good and sometimes loud is fun.
    I am considering it. I'm just concerned that the bass will be too overpowering for my room and that they won't be well suited.
    Does the room size matter?
    I know with the HS8 you can turn down the bass from the back.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by M3TA1 View Post
    Does the room size matter?
    No. if it's flat it's flat. If it's fucked, it's fucked and needs treatment no matter how big anything is.

Thanks
    Yeah, I say go with the 8's. You are just moving more air more efficiently. Well, hopefully.
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Chicago area, probably looking for more coffee.
    Thanks
    Imma go with the room size does matter to some extent -- But not between 6's and 8's. And don't get me wrong here -- The amount of broadband trapping will certainly matter -- But if you want a more "full-range" setup (which should be your ultimate goal over all others), you're going to need that whether you use 6's or 8's anyway...

northampton uk home of Dr Who and Blackstar Amps!
    Thanks
    Speaker cone size only affects the ultimate power handling, sound level output and LF extension. Sensitivity is related to cone MASS and so is loosely related to area but that of course depends upon what you make your cone out of! Size does not affect the LF output ref midband/HF.

All is related to box volume (and not all those parameters are intuitive!). If you can handle the maths( I can't!) the papers of R.H.Small will tell you all.

Room treatment, LF, is very important but arguably AS important is calibrating whatever monitors you have. A basic $30 'C' weighted sound level meter is good enough. Does not matter too much WHAT spl you monitor at (but don't go V loud except for 'fun') so long as you KNOW the level and can stick to it.

Mr Massive has a Missive. (and a mission?)

Dave.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by cavedog101 View Post
    Monitors are very much budget driven. Its ALWAYS the last thing on the upgrade list. And unfortunately is also the second most important part.

I don't care how much you spend on preamps, converters, computers, compressors, mics etc...if you can't HEAR whats being told to you through these devices, it makes no difference in the long run.
    Yep... I'd take this advice as gospel. The ability to hear what's been recorded, and hear it acurately, is fundamental and should have a large portion of the budget dedicated to it.

If you can afford $1,500+ for a pair of monitors, there are great ones out there, but first treat your room. There's no point in having expensive monitors if your room inhibits you're ability to hear what makes them expensive.

All the best!
    Last edited by jimmys69; 3 Days Ago at 09:38.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JDsound View Post
    Yep... I'd take this advice as gospel. The ability to hear what's been recorded, and hear it acurately, is fundamental and should have a large portion of the budget dedicated to it.

If you can afford $1,500+ for a pair of monitors, there are great ones out there, but first treat your room. There's no point in having expensive monitors if your room inhibits you're ability to hear what makes them expensive.

All the best!
    +2
    PC Win7-64-24G i7-4790k/Cubase 9 Pro 64-bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/ADAM A7x/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne 4 Studio/Other things that don't mean anything if a client shows up not knowing what it wants.

Thread Information