studio monitor headphones

michaelq

i'm looking into various studio monitor headphones, and so far the sony mdr 7506 headphones seem to be the most reccommended pair, but i guess i'm not content to go with that just yet. if anyone wants to share their experiences with studio monitor headphones - what has worked/hasnt... i'm looking in the $100 range, but am really open to whatever within reason, so long as they're closed ear design. i know these will not be a substitue for monitors, but i need them as reference, and want the best possible pair i can find in that range. let the comments commence...

I have a pair of Sennheiser HD457. Nobody would ever call them studio headphones, but they do what they need to for me. I think they're about $40, so you might be looking for something more high end. See if you can try a few pairs out in the store, listening to something you know really well and see what you think.

Music123.com has a nice offer of AKG's K171 for $99. I've read very good reviews on them, never tried them myself though. I just think you might be interested to check them out! :)

Cheers,
Menelaos

headphones for mixdown/mastering

I recommend the AKG K240S without hesitation.

I went through this exercise early in the year and spent weeks doing my homework. I ended up, happily, with the AKG K240S. They're extremely comfortable and they have a much more accurate portrayal of the low frequencies than the Sony 7506 (which led to final mixes that were too lean in the bass, given their accentuated low end.) I sent the Sony's back. The Senn's were not as comfortable as AKGs. The Audio Technicas are too boomy in the bass. The only one I did not have a chance to try, but it's a bit more expensive, is the K240DF. It's supposed to be the most "neutral."

By the way, some like the AKG K240M for mixing or mastering. I use this for tracking out of the mixer's headphone output. But for the overall mix, it's impedance is too high for use with standard headphone outputs of components (requires a mixer's headphone out or a separate headphone amp). I like to hear what's going directly onto the tape, so I use the tape machine's headphone output. Also, the K240S is a bit more revealing overall of detail. I'm happy with my mixes.

There's always the possibility that style of music plays a role in all of this. . . I'm doing jazz and ambient, not rock.

Good luck.
Michael

Back