Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: studio monitor headphones

Thanks

studio monitor headphones

Sign in to disable this ad
    i'm looking into various studio monitor headphones, and so far the sony mdr 7506 headphones seem to be the most reccommended pair, but i guess i'm not content to go with that just yet. if anyone wants to share their experiences with studio monitor headphones - what has worked/hasnt... i'm looking in the $100 range, but am really open to whatever within reason, so long as they're closed ear design. i know these will not be a substitue for monitors, but i need them as reference, and want the best possible pair i can find in that range. let the comments commence...

Thanks
    I have a pair of Sennheiser HD457. Nobody would ever call them studio headphones, but they do what they need to for me. I think they're about $40, so you might be looking for something more high end. See if you can try a few pairs out in the store, listening to something you know really well and see what you think.

Thanks
    Akg 240.......
    [size=1][b]bruce valeriani
    [url=http://www.bluebearsound.com/articles]recording articles[/url][/b]

[url=http://www.bluebearsound.com][img]http://www.bluebearsound.com/images/bb_siglogo.jpg[/img][/url][/size]

Thanks
    akg 270 . . .

Thanks
    anyone more?

Thanks
    sennheiser 280

Thanks
    another vote for the Sennheiser HD280 Pros. less leakage than the Sony's and more comfortable in my opinion.

Thanks
    Music123.com has a nice offer of AKG's K171 for $99. I've read very good reviews on them, never tried them myself though. I just think you might be interested to check them out!

Cheers,
    Menelaos

Thanks

headphones for mixdown/mastering

I recommend the AKG K240S without hesitation.

I went through this exercise early in the year and spent weeks doing my homework. I ended up, happily, with the AKG K240S. They're extremely comfortable and they have a much more accurate portrayal of the low frequencies than the Sony 7506 (which led to final mixes that were too lean in the bass, given their accentuated low end.) I sent the Sony's back. The Senn's were not as comfortable as AKGs. The Audio Technicas are too boomy in the bass. The only one I did not have a chance to try, but it's a bit more expensive, is the K240DF. It's supposed to be the most "neutral."

By the way, some like the AKG K240M for mixing or mastering. I use this for tracking out of the mixer's headphone output. But for the overall mix, it's impedance is too high for use with standard headphone outputs of components (requires a mixer's headphone out or a separate headphone amp). I like to hear what's going directly onto the tape, so I use the tape machine's headphone output. Also, the K240S is a bit more revealing overall of detail. I'm happy with my mixes.

There's always the possibility that style of music plays a role in all of this. . . I'm doing jazz and ambient, not rock.

Good luck.
    Michael

Thanks
    AKG K240

So far I like them better than anything I've tried.

C

Thread Information