Is Stereo and Mono good for quieting songs in a set?

Aaron Acosta

So, there's this set of songs. And some have to have elements of quietness but others they have to be louder and more real, in your face.

Would the mono and stereo settings (their feature) be my best bet for this kind of mixing goal?

Not really. Volume would be the thing you are looking for.

You could also think out the arrangement, take instruments away to make something seem quieter.

Right...what he ^^^ said.

You can also use panning in your stereo field to push some things out to the sides and others more up the middle for a bit of that "in your face" focus....but not really just to switch between stereo and mono.
For going stereo or mono...it would IMO, be a more global decision for all the songs of a album project.

You can also try both ways and see which appeals to you more...but they will have some different mixing considerations and approaches.
IOW...if you mix for stereo...and then just collapse to mono...it may not be what you expect. Each format needs it's own mixing considerations in order to get the most out of them.

Mono and stereo are a state of being, not really an effect.

Are you looking at a switch or something? The more I read your question, the more confused I am about what you are asking. What are you wanting to be mono or stereo?

Mono and stereo are a state of being, not really an effect.

Are you looking at a switch or something? The more I read your question, the more confused I am about what you are asking. What are you wanting to be mono or stereo?

I had an idea to set up some tracks as mono and others as stereo.

And because I learned that anything below 200hz shouldn't be stereo wide, I was thinking of making the bass of a song mono, the mid into stereo, and the high into stereo.

And I thought I could up the scheme with different sets of songs. (I could have a set of hip hop songs that had mono for bass and stereo for mid but my dance songs would have no stereo width in the middle)

However, I'm just now figuring out that it's just a state of the track rather than an actual effect. It may not really matter anymore TBH.

Best bet? No. . . but abstractly: contrasting elements can help dynamics. I suspect you'd have to do more than simply just go mono to stereo, but maybe mono with a high pass and low pass to limit the frequencies to a very limited band, then bringing the same part into full stereo with full frequency could give you the effect you might be looking for.

It depends on what he is talking about. The way he worded the question doesn't really make sense.

Anyway, effects are something you do to a sound. But sounds are either mono or stereo in the first place. You can't take something that is mono and make it stereo without applying some other effect to it. Even then, the sound is still mono with a delay/chorus/reverb... Which is why I said that it is a state of being and not an effect.

It depends on what he is talking about. The way he worded the question doesn't really make sense.

Anyway, effects are something you do to a sound. But sounds are either mono or stereo in the first place. You can't take something that is mono and make it stereo without applying some other effect to it. Even then, the sound is still mono with a delay/chorus/reverb... Which is why I said that it is a state of being and not an effect.

Fair enough. I guess I'm assuming they're approaching it from a DJ style, which could use the contrast of mono and stereo (along with other things) to help the dynamics. If you were tracking and mixing that, you probably wouldn't approach it that way. Different production styles.

Beware of taking statements as fact. Below 200Hz should be mono, as in central is frequently NOT how people do it. It's one of those so called facts that kind of get accepted because of the physics. Because of the wavelength, low bass is extremely difficult to localise. But many people can do it. Also, bass is not a sine wave. There are harmonics that CAN be localised, so panning a bass does shift the apparent location of the higher content. Removing bass from one channel, or even just reducing it can also free up space to allow some other low frequency stuff to be in it's place. Helps avoid a low frequency mess sometimes.

You can hear this going wrong with those compact PA's that have only one sub that goes to one side, in many venues because it is in the way in the middle. You get bass, but definition is poorer. Have two sub speakers and play some early 70s synth stuff and you can hear alternating bass synth lines when they go from speaker to speaker. Try it in your studio, one note left, one not right, going from low to high. There is an effect lower than 200Hz. The rule does make sense, but when starting out you MUST try these things to hear them before you decide to follow them or not.

When I have newly qualified students doing PA jobs for me and you give them the mic box, they always put an SM57 on the snare, it's what they've been taught. But I look at the snare and the room, and often pick something else. Might even me a condenser! rules are made to be broken, when you know better. Perhaps they should be guidelines or recommendations for experiment?

My original post was ambiguous, and needed specifics.

What I've realized before was that the stereo and mono can be "states" of recording, and that you can't just set them on and off.

Fair enough. I guess I'm assuming they're approaching it from a DJ style, which could use the contrast of mono and stereo (along with other things) to help the dynamics. If you were tracking and mixing that, you probably wouldn't approach it that way. Different production styles.

The process is what I was looking for. Had no clue it was coming from the DJ style.

Beware of taking statements as fact. Below 200Hz should be mono, as in central is frequently NOT how people do it. It's one of those so called facts that kind of get accepted because of the physics. Because of the wavelength, low bass is extremely difficult to localise. But many people can do it. Also, bass is not a sine wave. There are harmonics that CAN be localised, so panning a bass does shift the apparent location of the higher content. Removing bass from one channel, or even just reducing it can also free up space to allow some other low frequency stuff to be in it's place. Helps avoid a low frequency mess sometimes.

You have clear statements. Thank you.

You can hear this going wrong with those compact PA's that have only one sub that goes to one side, in many venues because it is in the way in the middle. You get bass, but definition is poorer. Have two sub speakers and play some early 70s synth stuff and you can hear alternating bass synth lines when they go from speaker to speaker. Try it in your studio, one note left, one not right, going from low to high. There is an effect lower than 200Hz. The rule does make sense, but when starting out you MUST try these things to hear them before you decide to follow them or not.

I'd think that with the development of speaker crossovers frequencies, the rule of "No stereo 200 hz and below" gained consistency. There could be a direct positive correlation there, and no clear cause.

The 'no stereo below 200hz' was a mastering for vinyl thing. It would make it hard to keep the needle from jumping off the record if you did. However, I think the frequency might have been lower. 200hz seems a bit high.

Back