Spreading artificial reverb

pdadda

Captain Sea Boots
I have been reading Bob Katz's book "Mastering Audio-The Art and the Science" a lot lately. First off, it is a wonderful book. Here's my question. In chapter 17, he says "One of the first tricks that mix engineers learn is to put reverberation in the opposite channel from the source." How do you do this? I guess its a way for the reverb to not be masked by the transients and "absorbed" into the direct sound. Since I record in a crappy room, I usually add artificial reverb if I need it. Maybe I'm just dumb, but I can't figure out how to isolate just the reverberation and pan that.

Or you can return the reverb to an unused channel on the mixer. That way you can pan and equilize the verb return.

I'm still a bit confused about how to isolate the reverb. I assume you are talking about running a channel to a reverb unit and then returning the outs of that top a separate channel. But won't you just have the original track with reverb applied?

No - setting the 'mix' to 100% WET on the effects unit means that the dry signal is left out of the return.

Most verbs have a mix parameter that controls how much of the original signal is heard with the reverb. You would want to set it at 100% wet.

Thanks alot folks. For some reason I was thinking 100% wet meant like 1:1 or something. So hence, yes I am retarded. I'll try messing around with it tonight. I am interested in testing out the Haas effect.

Back