'Splain it to me Lucy!

drstawl

Banned
This song from H/R Comp CD 2 by Foo (red Disc Track 3)
sounds mighty thumpin' and sweet. But when I looked at the waveform goin' on- I see that 9 consecutive samples are clipped to farkel but it still sounds good.

How?

Attachments

• foo_clip.jpg
    foo_clip.jpg
    17.3 KB · Views: 165
Funny you should bring this up.
I have clipped on tracks before in error, but on playback it sounded fine ???:confused:

Nine samples of clipping are simply not enough for the ear to hear any distortion. It's just a glitch for 0.2 microseconds. You wont hear it.

You need to clip the waveforms consecutively for a longer time than that to hear anything.

regebro said:
Nine samples of clipping are simply not enough for the ear to hear any distortion. It's just a glitch for 0.2 microseconds. You wont hear it.

You need to clip the waveforms consecutively for a longer time than that to hear anything.

Where do you get 200 nanoseconds?

My calculations indicate 204 microseconds.

And I've heard it loud and clear with just ONE sample guillotined.
But I was probably hallucinating....

Last edited:
Why do you say it's clipped? Wouldn't a waveform that has been "limited" look the same?

Clipped to me means the digital recording exceeded 0db, and therefore the data above 0db is completely missing. If the intital recording was below 0db, but had its gain increased and simulataneously limited (e.g., put through an L2), the waveform would end up flat-topped like that. IOW, the musical data is there, is just isn't being allowed to exceed 0db by the limiter.

dachay2tnr said:
Why do you say it's clipped? Wouldn't a waveform that has been "limited" look the same?

Clipped to me means the digital recording exceeded 0db, and therefore the data above 0db is completely missing. If the intital recording was below 0db, but had its gain increased and simulataneously limited (e.g., put through an L2), the waveform would end up flat-topped like that. IOW, the musical data is there, is just isn't being allowed to exceed 0db by the limiter.

i was about to add that. thank you. I don't think any mastering engineer in their right mind would intentionally clip. That's just bad. You can achieve a much more musical effect by limiting.

It looks like a soft limit. I'd be interested in seeing what that looked like before because the rise makes it look like a serious reduction in peak amplitude for those samples.
Not all clipping is bad, there are a a few albums done today where the clipping was taseful, loud yet exhibits no obvious distortion. The size of the clip isn't important as the frequencies in which the clip occur. Tree stumps underwater are not always obvious :)

SoMm

fwiw 3 SAMPLES(or more) that clip in are said to cause distortion.
But hey all those distorted gtrs? you can't hear it anyway.

T

C'mon- you saw that peak.

What is the difference between actual clipping and just setting (via some limiting device) the sample values between the up and down sides of this truncated waveform to the maximum available sample value?

drstawl said:
C'mon- you saw that peak.

What is the difference between actual clipping and just setting (via some limiting device) the sample values between the up and down sides of this truncated waveform to the maximum available sample value?

A limiter is making adjustments to the entire envelope, i.e. lowering and raising volumes (if using some sort of gain makeup) to all of the samples. Clipping a waveform simply truncates any sample that can't be stored for a given wordlength.

To put it another way, clipping is accidental distortion without any regard for the original waveform where limiting is lowering the peak to average ratio to achieve a hotter signal based on the original waveform.

OK, let’s try it this way. Let's say I’ve got a piece of music that is 10 samples long. The peak for each sample is as follows:

1 = -8.0 db
2 = -5.0 db
3 = -2.5 db
4 = -1.0 db
5 = -0.5 db
6 = -0.5 db
7 = -1.0 db
8 = -2.5 db
9 = -5.0 db
10= -8.0 db

Now let’s assume I want to add +3.0 db of gain to the entire piece. If I were to simply raise the gain of the entire file by 3.0 db, then samples #3 thru 8 will clip, as they will be driven over 0db, and the part of the sample that exceeds 0 db will be chopped off (i.e., the word length will be truncated as MH said). The result will be digital distortion.

But let’s say that while increasing the gain, I also placed a limiter on the file and set it to 0 db. The resulting output then will be as follows:

1 = -5.0 db
2 = -2.0 db
3 = 0.0 db
4 = 0.0 db
5 = 0.0 db
6 = 0.0 db
7 = 0.0 db
8 = 0.0 db
9 = -2.0 db
10= -5.0 db

Note that samples # 3 – 8 will appear flat, as all have been restricted to 0 db. However, they are NOT clipped. They just have been restricted (limited) by the limiter not to exceed 0 db.

Looked at another way, you really did not add 3 db of gain to all of these samples. In cases where the requested gain would push the sample over 0db, the limiter only allowed enough gain to bring those samples to 0 db (or wherever the upper limit may have been set). Therefore 3 db of gain was added to samples 1,2, 9 and 10, but a lesser amount gain was added to the other samples in order to prevent them from clipping.

Visually, adding 3 db gain across the board versus adding 3 db gain with a 0 db limit, would look the same. Samples 3 to 8 will be flat at 0 db. However only the first case will you actually have clipped samples.

Whew! I have to go rest now. :D

masteringhouse said:
Clipping a waveform simply truncates any sample that can't be stored for a given wordlength.

Let me re-word the question.

So you have limited the file to the highest sample value for those nine samples createing that "truncated" look. Limited, not clipped.

What would be stored in those nine samples had you instead "clipped" the signal?

dachay2tnr said:

Note that samples # 3 – 8 will appear flat, as all have been restricted to 0 db. However, they are NOT clipped. They just have been restricted (limited) by the limiter not to exceed 0 db.

Sorry but I have to disagree with this statement. There is not a measurement that allows one to measure above 0 dbFS. As a result, the convention (though can be set via parameters in some devices) is that any 3 consecutive samples at 0dbFS is defined as a clip.

Therefore clipping will result with samples #3-5 and continue to sample 8.

Also the amount of volume reduction is dependent on the ratio and threshold of the limiter. If using a limiter at a 10:1 ratio the volumes will not necessarily be brought up an equal amount. In a brickwall limiter without a softknee (more like the example you are describing) , everything above the threshold will be set to the maximum output volume of the limiter.

masteringhouse said:
Sorry but I have to disagree with this statement. There is not a measurement that allows one to measure above 0 dbFS. As a result, the convention (though can be set via parameters in some devices) is that any 3 consecutive samples at 0dbFS is defined as a clip.

Therefore clipping will result with samples #3-5 and continue to sample 8.

Also the amount of volume reduction is dependent on the ratio and threshold of the limiter. If using a limiter at a 10:1 ratio the volumes will not necessarily be brought up an equal amount. In a brickwall limiter without a softknee (more like the example you are describing) , everything above the threshold will be set to the maximum output volume of the limiter.
I was simply trying to express how a waveform could appear flat-topped without actually being clipped. If technically inaccurate in the process, I guess you'll have to shoot me.

Change the limit to -0.1 db. The point I was trying to make remains the same.

Also, in this case I was assuming a brick wall limiter, although I probably should have stated that. For my limited mind, I generally consider anything less than brick wall as a compressor (although I know that is technically inaccurate as well).

Anyway, thanks for the clarification.

The only difference between clipping and limiting is that limiting tends to be more intentional and less drastic.

A limiter essentially clips the waveform, except it can do it any desired amplitude - not just 0dB. However, clipping causes sharp waveform edges that contain a lot of high frequencies. So clipping is often quite noticeable. The "soft clipping" of a limiter subdues the highs by rounding off the edges before flattening out the waveform at the desired level.

Thomas

http://barefootsound.com

Back