Spend money on Mixing or Mastering??

juineaux

I'm just begining to record at home and I've gotten some pretty decent results, but I think I will eventually want another set of ears to hear my mixes and make them shine to their fullest. The problem is that I have a limited amount of money....do you think I should put $$$ towards mixing in a nice studio with an engineer, or mix at home and spend money on having it professionally mastered. I can make a decent mix, but I assume(mabey incorrectly) that someone else can do it better. Suggestions?

I play acoustic roots/folk music if that helps-

Tracking - if the tones don't make it to tape right, the rest doesn't matter.

Once you get that done right, spend dough on mixing.

Only after that should you spend any real money on mastering.

It's in my sig... But basically, I'm with Brad on up - The first steps are the most important steps. The proceeding steps become important after the preceeding steps are successfully executed.

None of both...

This reply may sound insulting, but it's not meant to be...

I think you should better keep your money. Do your mixes, by the time doing that, read alot, learn what sucked in your recorded tracks and do it better the next time... Maybe use sth. like the mp3 clinic or so to get some feedback (but don't say I hadn't warned you... :D)

You'll prolly have to spend a lot of time until you get the idea of where to look (or rather listen) at if you record, if you mix a.s.o. and where others should look at. By that time you'll be infected, and need all the money you have for getting more and better gear...

Then you prolly decide against mastering because you are infected (if you do it for your own) or will start to do services for other people or maybe even think of selling your records. Then a mastering may be very helpful.

If you wanna have fast, good results, got to a good studio in your neighborhood...

aXel

P.S.: Saw your music direction... Yes, RECORDING will be a crucial part...

Back