sound perception

Ya...the bass drum is loud and the string bass is pretty much missing from the mix.

How does it sound in cans?

Not quite as bad but pretty awful, there seems to be no distinction between bass and bass drum, any tips on the frequencies I should be cutting on either?

Stu; It doesn't deaden, it diffuses.

Actually...it does both.

Acoustic materials are usually rated with an "absorption coefficient" for various frequencies across the band. Absorption coefficients indicate the attenuation of energy as it encounters and passes through the material. Sound waves, when attenuated with some type of material are converted to heat. That heat represents the actual loss of energy into the material.

So...yes, 703 panels most certainly do deaden. And...yes they certainly do diffuse....assuming some sound goes through them, bounces off a reflective surface, and then gets back out the front.

The higher the absorption coefficient the more energy a thing absorbs.

http://www.bobgolds.com/AbsorptionCoefficients.htm

I don't think he was referring to 703. He was talking about the picture of the wooden diffusers.

I don't think he was referring to 703. He was talking about the picture of the wooden diffusers.

Ah yes 2x2's would indicate that...lol...I get addicted to a point sometimes. :)

---------- Update ----------

Not quite as bad but pretty awful, there seems to be no distinction between bass and bass drum, any tips on the frequencies I should be cutting on either?

I use drum samples so my solution is always just to adjust that drum...which is as simple as it gets. A lot of bass drums are going to have a fundamental at around 60hz and a first harmonic at twice that.

I'd want to try to see the fundamental of that kick through a spectrum analyzer ( Real-time audio spectrum analyzer plugin (AU, VST) - Voxengo SPAN - Voxengo - super good free analyzer ) and then do VERY narrow cuts at the fundamental and the first harmonic (a bass drum isn't usually going to have noticeable upper harmonics).

On the bass guitar I'd look at maybe just boosting the track overall...or maybe only boost the freq range between 500-1000 to accentuate some of that "twang" in the bass. That can often help pop it out of a mix. I think just boosting the whole track will be good.

Ya...the bass drum is loud and the string bass is pretty much missing from the mix.

How does it sound in cans?
Yeah, the bass drum's been pretty hot all along..
mixsit, the bass drum has a lot of the room and OH mics, I could turn these down but I want a quite roomy sound using the room mics rather than reverb.
I'll try blending it with a bit more subtlety, thanks.
I tried a low ratio limiter when I messed around on the first mix- i.e. 'tame the kick but keep the drums' but didn't mention it- ( it sorta worked but had too many collateral damages - could be better addressed in the mix of course.

I think the Bass Max (is that what it's called?) helped the bass fill out and speak better BTW.

Back