Sound like Sufjan Stevens

Jean Valjean

Hi guys, I´m trying to achieve the vocal sound of Sufjan Stevens on Carrie and Lowell, but in vain. Anybody knows how he does that? What chorus and reverb does he use?

I don't hear any chorus on his vocals. Sounds to me like he's doubling most of them, singing the part twice. He manages to get really tight performances so that the two vocal parts really blend together well. That's probably what you're interpreting as a chorus.

And there's not much reverb on them either, they're relatively dry. If there is any reverb, it's used very sparingly and subtly.

Most of the vocals sound very compressed, that's always bothered me a bit about his vocals. It makes them a little too mid-rangey sounding to me.

Terrific album though, I saw him on that tour last month and it was an amazing show.

Thanks a lot for your take, it must have been terrific to hear him live.

I wonder, if he does double takes while recording, is the live sound very different from the studio one?

I agree with the compression and the dry feel, however I´m surprised that you don´t think it´s reverberated, there seems to be an eerie quality to the sound I can´t put my finger on. When I try double takes they sound very differently.

Listening back to a few tracks off of that album now...

On Fourth of July for instance, there are at least 2 tracks of the lead vocal. I can't quite pin down the panning...could be left/right/center panning with 3 vocal tracks in unison. It's very dry and very compressed with a somewhat colorful compressor. The backing instruments all provide the reverb and atmosphere..that piano has quite a bit of a very dark reverb on it.

On the title track, its very similar, with either 2 or 3 vocal tracks in unison. There could be some mid/side processing going on that's making it difficult to locate where the individual voices are panned. There may be a small amount of reverb with a short tail on the acoustic guitars and mandolin or whatever that is accompanying. But the vocals sound very dry to me until half-way through. It could be a little bit of room reverb on the background vocals, but I don't hear any reverb tail from a hall or chamber. Again here, the backing instruments like the electric piano and synth provide the reverb and atmosphere for the song.

I think that the trick to making the doubled/tripled vocals work is to get the performances as tight as possible, with every consonant and plosive and sibilant timed almost perfectly among the tracks. The minor differences of a human being performing the same part multiple times will provide the depth, but any egregious timing errors will spoil the illusion of it all being a single chorus.

When he did this album live, he had a few band mates doing backing vocals. Their voices blended very well, they're true professionals. But the lead vocal parts he mainly did by himself.

Thanks Tadpui, for the in-depth, very professional analysis. I haven´t realized how much of the atmosphere can spill over from the instrument tracks and now that you point it out, I have to agree.

I have seen Sufjan Stevens at least 5 times over the past 6 or 7 years; their live show is very close to the album but there is generally a little artistic twist on it to make it better (in my experience). I have heard that his practice regimen with his band is extremely coordinated and precise which translates to the live experience that the audience receives.

I'm with Tadpui, definitely double (or more) tracked on the vocals on the majority of his songs. And compressed...

Agree with Tadpui. I'm not real familiar with him, but I youtubed the song.

I don't hear any chorus on the vocal. If there is reverb, I'm guessing it's a small/medium room or Ambience or something close. And he didn't use much of it - pretty dry.

It's very tight doubling. And the takes are hard panned. Still sounds good, even on earbuds. Again, very tight doubling. Probably lots of takes/edits/punches I'd guess.

Back