Sound is bad on cells and littke speakers

yoedsmn

Hello my friends
When I listen to my track on my YAMAHA HS80 speaker -sound is graet,
and
When listen it on cell phone or little speaker sound is fully bad ?
Bass line is gone, kick hard ETC?
Thank you
salman

What happens when you listen to commercial tracks?

Cell phone speakers aren't likely to put out much of a kick or bass line, regardless of source material.

OK
But my TRack is So bad
when listening to commercial tracks its sound OK
Its a cell phone speaker but you should hear it ok
:)

---------- Update ----------

I know what the problem - Bad mix But Can you give me some tips to start with ?

If you really think there's more to it than just the low quality speakers, post up a clip for us to listen to.
Maybe someone can give you advice having heard your music. :)

The problem you're describing relates to one of the goals of mixing - to make your song sound good wherever it's played. There are a multitude of possibilities for why yours in particular is not translating well to small speakers and it would be impossible to guess without hearing it. Put a link to an MP3 in the mix clinic and someone might be able to help.

I would guess that the issue is that the bassline is all low end (which small speakers have trouble representing), so it all gets lost in the conversion.
And the kick is pitched very high, so when what little low end it has is lost to the small speakers, all you hear is the high-pitched click.

Thanks for your help
And yes , I feel the track is low in general DBs
What is the right way to make it louder on cubase 5?
Which plugin should I open on the master channel ?
Again- thank you

One good thing to do with speakers like the 80's... for checking more relative to how smaller setups would sounds (especially bass lacking) would be to cut the low end on the speakers and see how the mix sounds. This is generally something many do with additional monitors though, like having cubes or ns10's

Also.... I've seen releases put out two ways - one for CD and one for Digital.... The Digital release being more compressed, which generally helps with smaller speakers (phones, laptops, etc)

As eluded to above, you need to find ways to get the low end of your mix into higher frequencies. If the kick is "gone" on a small speaker, duplicate (or, better, get close to simulating it with a tom or something that also has some higher frequencies). On a full spectrum speaker, you won't really hear it, but when it's all you have, you hear it. Make sure there's a high-hat or something keeping a beat. Whatever. A lot of making it work is in the arrangement, not the mix. I mix a lot with headphones (I know, different topic). I use a plug-in from Toneboosters called Isone. It makes the headphones have a more realistic stereo image, but also has nice presets for all kinds of different speaker systems, so it's easy to switch from flat to telephone and several in between. I have a 4-out interface, and put Isone on outputs 3/4 and listen to that. That way, outputs 1/2 (master) are always flat, and I don't have to worry about forgetting to turn Isone off

Along with everything mentioned above, there is a phenomenon that happens when mixing that makes you more critical of your mix than commercial mixes.

In other words, when a commercial song sounds bad on a cell phone, you blame the phone. When your mix sounds bad on a phone, you blame the mix.

The best way to ensure a mix that sounds as good as it can on everything is to make sure that all the important instruments have a well balanced sound. A bass without decent midrange will get lost on systems without low end, for example.

ya it's hard for the typical consumer speaker (ie cell phones and cheap speakers) to produce the low end which is why you seem to "lose" some of it. But that is also about the most important mix to get right since most people will be listening on those devices!

Back