Soon to get UAD...first plugs I should get?

Seafroggys

So I bought a cheap UAD-1 card on ebay that comes with a $100 voucher (it was unopened). I'm going to try the default plugs for awhile, but I was thinking of also getting one of the high end ones as well, and then wait a bit before getting some more.

Probably the most universally loved one I have found was the Plate reverb, but I rarely use reverb so that may not be the best for-the-money option for me. The two that I seem to be very interested in is the Transient Designer or the LA-2A. The Transient Designer pretty much does exactly what I use the Kjaerus Classic Compressor for on my drums...shape the sound. Really cool and really easy to use. On the other hand, it would just be limited to drums. The LA-2A I could use on pretty much anything, vocals bass or drum buss (I don't really compress anything else).

So while I have narrowed down my decision to two plugs, I'd like to hear what other people think would be, if they just got a UAD card and were only getting one plug, which one would they get? Doesn't have to be a compressor plug, can be EQ or anything else.

I'm playing around with the Fatso demo - it has a very noticeable (and positive) impact on my denser mixes, not so much on some of my sparser mixes, but in all, if I was going to buy one right now, this would probably be it.

I use my plugs only for mixes. I bought the Plate 140, Precision De-esser, Fairchild 670 and Neve 88RS. I use the Plate 140 all the time, Fairchild for bass, and the default 1176SE for vocals. I used to use the 88RS for vocals, but haven't much lately. I haven't started using the De-esser yet. I probably should, just don't have it figured out yet.

Before I got any UAD cards, I was using the free classic series from Kjaerhus. While they were good, the UAD is another league.

Yeah I love the Classic series. I use the Classic Compressor on many things, I use the Classic Delay on vocals and some guitar, and the Classic Limiter as a brickwall. If I ever need a phaser I pull out the Classic Phaser. While Classic Reverb was good, I prefer Glaceverb in almost every way. And Classic EQ is a joke, they really need to come up with a parametric version (I use the freeware version of ElectriQ for my EQ, which is so kickass). But yeah, its some of the best freeware out there.

Though I hope the jump to UAD plugs will be noticeable.

The plate sounds great
the fatso can only be used on uad2
I don't notice much of a difference in the higher end 1176

The neve buss comp is really cool

The LA-2A I could use on pretty much anything, vocals bass or drum buss (I don't really compress anything else).
While LA-2A works really well on vocals and other held/long sounds, I wouldn't say it is my "go-to" compressor for drums or bass.

If I could have only one compressor on the UAD, it would definitely be 1176LN. It has a certain character that lends itself well to many things, but especially drums and bass.

I also like the Pultec EQ for broad-brush coloring.

For overall mixing, the Prescision series are awesome.

Mmmm, I just got it, and me likey. The Pultec sounds great on my bass drum, and the 1176SE does wonders for my drum close mics. The stock reverb (forgot what it was called) is lightyears ahead of freeware stuff, which I could never get to sound really good. Sounds excellent on vocals.

I'm tempted to get the Pultec Pro EQ so I get better control over the midrange, and its covered under my $100 voucher. Otherwise, I'd probably pay the $50 difference and get the LA-2A.

Back