Song Naming and Buffer space questions

undrgrnd studio

OK guys I have a few questions that I need to tackle before completing my first track to master project. I have been recording with a friend at my home studio for 4 years now for a 13 song CD. Why 4 years? Well other projects got in the way, I migrated from a standalone to a PC DAW, recording only happens a few times a month, baseball season gets in the way, plus my friend isn't a fan of the mixing and mastering stage.

But I digress...

What I was wondering is this, is there a way to include song and artist info on a CD like an MP3? I thought there was, but now that I think about it it usually only appears on a computer when you play a CD, and that comes from the internet. Is there a way to index that info on the net somewhere if not on the CD itself?

What about removing that 2 second buffer between tracks? I know it's done on Abbey Road as well as Exodus and some bright eyes CD's. How is this done? I want a seamless transition between a couple of songs.

P.S. I did master this thing on my own, it took a lot of trial and error to get the tracks at similar volume levels and to remove that bottom end mud that tends to accumulate over multiple instruments and vocals. This thing is actually sounding quite good for a home based recording. I realize it won't have the same glossy sheen of Pearl Jam's 10, but given tools and experience I have, I am blown away at what's possible today with affordable gear.

What software are you using to burn CDs? That might be your problem with buffer? You should be given an option to take off the 2 second buffer or adjust the transition just how you want it to happen. There is a program called NERO that should do the trick. I don't think it is expensive- Hope that helps-

What software are you using to burn CDs? That might be your problem with buffer? You should be given an option to take off the 2 second buffer or adjust the transition just how you want it to happen. There is a program called NERO that should do the trick. I don't think it is expensive- Hope that helps-

I do use NERO, and I thought I heard you could adjust the buffer spacing. I wonder though, can it be done on just one track, or does it need to be on all tracks or none?

You should be able to do it track by track I think. If you can't (it has been awhile since I have used nero) I would select the option to have no buffer on everything. Then if there are a few songs you DO want to have space before or after- just bounce down the wave file with the space already in it. So that way you in control of how long the "buffer" is by adding silence in the track itself. That should work-

You should be able to do it track by track I think. If you can't (it has been awhile since I have used nero) I would select the option to have no buffer on everything. Then if there are a few songs you DO want to have space before or after- just bounce down the wave file with the space already in it. So that way you in control of how long the "buffer" is by adding silence in the track itself. That should work-

Ahh we have a thinker. Great idea. Thanks a lot.

Get Sony CD Architect. It's like $50. You can have complete control over spaces/transitions between tracks and it also supports CD-Text which lets you set track information (artist, title, etc.) for each song.

Some CD/media players don't support CD-Text and they may not show it but the CD will still play.

Get Sony CD Architect. It's like $50. You can have complete control over spaces/transitions between tracks and it also supports CD-Text which lets you set track information (artist, title, etc.) for each song.

Some CD/media players don't support CD-Text and they may not show it but the CD will still play.

Hmm, sounds like exactly what I need, minus the price tag. I'll put it on my want list. Thanks for the help.

If you use this method, you can just download iTunes for free and use that. It will also write CD-Text..

Back