Some mildly interesting mixing experiments

easlern

Boredom artist
Hey guys, I got some different monitors lately and I wanted to see how different my mixes might be with them in different configurations. So I made multiple mixes of the same verse and chorus with different monitors and/or different techniques. I thought maybe someone would find it interesting to hear the differences between them (they are noticeably different) so I figured I'd post them.

To be clear, I don't intend these to be examples of good mixes (they're clearly not), I just thought it was interesting how different they all came out depending on how I was hearing things. :D

This is with an unbroken-in "grot box" sealed single driver, first day with this monitor. Done in mono with occasional checks on headphones:
View attachment long way from a friend mono grot.mp3

This is the grot box plus a pair of unbroken-in sealed cabinet two-ways, first day with these monitors:
View attachment long way from a friend (grot+two-ways).mp3

This is with a $6 pair of panasonic headphones, mixed mostly mono "vocal first" (I pulled up the instruments one-by-one after the vocal and carved them around the vocal. I should have done this with the other mixes too but this is pretty far from scientific. . .) Warning, super loud.
View attachment long way from a friend (headphones, vox first).mp3

I remixed using "vocal first" with the three monitors. Much more detailed I think, but lots of bass and even some sub I didn't get with the headphones. That's kind of surprising because the monitors seem to have a much better bass response than the headphones. But I made the bass huge with the monitors and really tame with the headphones- I thought there'd be compensation going the other way.
View attachment long way from a friend (grot box+two ways vocal first).mp3

I'd really like to hear other peoples' examples if they happen to have any. . . thanks for reading. :)

Last edited:
Back