Snare Drum Hurts Ears (sample included)

David Bloom

Here's the clip.

unstoppable annie for review.mp3 - Google Drive

I find that listening to the track for more than a minute or so my ears begin to hurt due to the sound of the snare drum, but I can't for the life of me determine why. In other commercial mixes the snare is mixed louder and they don't have the same problem. What could be the cause?

General critiques and suggestions for the mix are also welcome.

The snare doesn't hurt my ears...that song hurts my ears.
I find those the whole "stutter" way they play the drums, guitars, etc., in that song....very annoying.

I like it, definitely a nice composition. I have to agree though with the former poster, I don't hear what the problem with the snare is. What in my opinion would be an improvement is drums that have (more) life in them. This is a high energy song, and the drums should act as a foundation for that, but right now they're just too bland.

Yep, look at a spectrum analysis of this, I expect you'll find a build-up in the range that gets fatiguing, and its mostly the guitars. I found the kick annoying, too, not for frequency, just how it sounded. Where is the low end on this mix?

Reference your track you'll find a safe spot this way, if the snare really hurts your ears it must be either cause your monitors/workspace are boosting the snare's frequencies too much or cause you're listening too loud (ear fatigue anyone?)

Back