Small monitors.. good buy?

jackjameson_

Hey guys,,

im gonna get a monitor.. in one or 2 weeks.. i will get 1 monitor first and a month later the next. So ive heard the a3x and i like them but the lows are not like the bigger monitors. Is the a3x still a decent monitor too mix?

I will get a adam sub in may... but in the meanwhile..

Hey guys,,

im gonna get a monitor.. in one or 2 weeks.. i will get 1 monitor first and a month later the next. So ive heard the a3x and i like them but the lows are not like the bigger monitors. Is the a3x still a decent monitor too mix?

I will get a adam sub in may... but in the meanwhile..

It depends how big your room is, the bigger the room the bigger your speakers should be, I personally don't like big speakers, you'll only excite the modes and problems in your room with more bass

Let us know your room size and if you have any treatment. A few things to be aware of...1) they are not magnetically shielded (be careful getting them near hard drives and monitors.) 2) they are only 50W per speaker, probably plenty for a well treated 800 cu ft room, but might be a bit of a problem going larger. 3) they sound amazing, but you'll really miss the sub until you get it as they bottom out around 78Hz (-3) and 60Hz (-10dB). All that 50KHz top end is just fluff as you can't hear there anyway...are you recording dog whistles? :)

dog whistles :p haha

ive a very small room.. height is just like 2 metres 10. 2,5 meter wide and 3,5 meters long.. i live in a very old house.. thats why. It has no treatment but i can look into that!

I was hoping there mid an high responds where almost as good as the a7x.. for the bottom i can get a adam sub 7 in a couple months.

How are they vs the Yamahas hs 7 or 8?

Without treatment forget spending any money on monitors.

Also just save and buy the 2, what is the use of owning one monitor?

Alan.

I agree with Alan. If you buy one, and then realize you'll have the money to buy the A7x's next month, you've thrown some down the lou. Save a bit and get what you want. You might find that living without gives you more incentive...

To reinforce - without acoustic treatment (bass traps!) in a small room, it doesn't matter what monitors you get, and the bigger they are, the worse it can be.

heeyyy guyzzzz.. i got 1 speaker of Adam a3x.. i mixed a long time on the fostex pm0.4 so i know something about learning good the monitor. Im impressed! But yes.. my acoustic sucks..

is it ok if i post some photo's of my music room?

I wasn't born rich, I worked hard to get where I am in life. I was just saying that you can't mix properly with 1 monitor unless you are mixing for Mono.

Alan.

im not saying u re rich or born rich.. it doesnt matter :p but im just saying im not haha.
i wont final a mix on a mono monitor.. but i can try to learn how to place the instruments in the mix with these monitors..

im not saying u re rich or born rich.. it doesnt matter :p but im just saying im not haha.
i wont final a mix on a mono monitor.. but i can try to learn how to place the instruments in the mix with these monitors..

Well yes, you can absolutely learn with one monitor. You will just have to re-learn later when you have two and have a stereo mix at hand. :)

Go with what you can dood. All learning begins from whatever point you start at. :D

And by the way, Please post pictures. Start a thread for your studio in the Studio Building and Acoustic Treatment forum and then you can add pics and get advice on next steps (just like some of the rest of us are doing). Don't be afraid that it's not "Pro" looking. We all start somewhere. Also, post your room dimensions and notes on what you need the room to sound like in the Small Room Acoustics sticky on that same forum and you'll get info on how to deal with your room. Just don't start posting about pillows and polyester fill...:D

I'm currently in a 3m x 3.5m (tiny) room and love my HS7's.
I don't have any 'real' treatment in the room but one corner is where we keep all our camping gear, 3tents, 6sleepingbags, 3thermorests... My mixes translate pretty well...

I'm currently in a 3m x 3.5m (tiny) room and love my HS7's.
I don't have any 'real' treatment in the room but one corner is where we keep all our camping gear, 3tents, 6sleepingbags, 3thermorests... My mixes translate pretty well...

you can't be serious, when you say 'my mixes translate pretty well' after telling us 1/ it's a 3x 3.5 room and 2/ you are using sleeping bags for bass traps...

hey guys.. sry for my late reaction..

the adam a3x gives so much bass in my small room.. sometimes i think its too much bass.. but its my room i guess..

oye and sometimes i hear a humm in my speaker.. and if im lay it on the side theres more humm.. u guys know what that is?

Back