silly question regarding burning with win media player

philpereira

This is going to come across very newbie-ish, so bear with me. I guess I'm looking for validation more than anything else. Yesterday I decided to burn a few songs I'm working on to CD so I could take a listen in the car. I used windows media player to do it. Needless to say the songs didn't sound very good in the car. I know part of it is that I haven't gotten the whole mastering thing down, but do the converters in media player affect the sound of the files I'm using. I should also add that before I burned the files, I converted them to 16bit with dbpoweramp. Anyway, is there a particular program that is good for burning files to CD's and is there a conversion process I should use to maintain the integrity of the file? Appreciate any feedback.

make sure you have all the effects and EQ turned off. also, the WMP tends to burn the CD a bit lower in volume than say CD Architect might. Of course, how your material sounds on different systems all depends on how well you mixed it - if your monitors are biased (i.e. not neutral sounding) you may be compensating for it and your mix will be hard to reproduce across different systems (until you really learn how your system sounds compared to other systems...)

Back