Shuffle Timing?

ollie44

Hi all,

Sorry if this is in the wrong section - wasn't really sure where to post.

I'm using Logic Pro 9 and I'm trying to create a virtual drum track, but I'm having some issues with getting the correct timing. I'm trying to input a shuffle-style beat in 4/4, but Ultrabeat by default just plays a straight 4/4. I was wondering if anybody knew what I would need to change?

The beat I want is similar to the one in Pride and Joy by Stevie Ray Vaughan (Stevie Ray Vaughan - Pride and Joy (Studio version) - YouTube)

Ay help much be appreciated. Thanks.

I assume (no logic user) you can select the time signature, and then there will probably be a straight 4/4 and a shuffle version. Off course you could also go for 12/8.

Thanks for the reply!

There are various swing options but none equal what I want/the linked song. I tried 12/8, but again, it isn't the right result unfortunately...

Hi Ollie,
Can you let us hear what you have?...the beat you're trying to work with?
Because you said 'Ultrabeat by default just plays a straight 4/4', I guess you're trying to apply a swing instruction? I know Protools can do this but I've never used it.

I think it might be better to choose, or write, a swing beat from the get-go.

I remember in college I wrote an entire piece with triplet notation so it would swing and was told to rewrite it straight with the instruction 'swing' at the start so maybe that's the done thing.
In terms of software loops, though, if I flick through the libraries in SSD or Drumcore, some of them will shuffle/swing and the midi loops will be written as such. I.E. without performance direction.

You can keep it 4/4, but you have to set it to let you place triplets on the grid. That way, all your 1/4 and 1/8 notes are in the right place but you can still place the swing hits where they need to be.

DrumCore's 4.3.1 update adds filters for quickly finding grooves. Adding to the existing search by Drummer and Genre, searching now includes Time Signature, Feel and various Tags. The Time Signature Filter offers 17 choices including 2/4, 3/4, 4/4, 5/4, 6/4, 7/4, 9/4, 5/8, 6/8, 7/8, 9/8, 11/8, 12/8, 13/8, 17/8, 20/8, and 21/8. The Feel Filter includes 13 vibes: Shufflle, Shuffle Train, Straight 16ths, Straight 8ths, Straight Feel, Straight Quarters, Swing, Swung 16ths, Swung 8ths, Train, Triplet Feel, Triplet 6-8 Feel, and Triplet 12-8 Feel. There are also 73 Tags for finding the right drums to match your song, like aggressive, cowbell, double-kick, laid back, and many more. For an entire list of Tags, Genres, Drummers, and more see the DC4 FAQ. Sonoma Wire Works: DrumCore 4 Guide

Screen Shot 2017-09-03 at 9.21.02 PM.png

Back