Should I buy Demo CMS 50 monitor speakers?

Rick Moody

Hi, I'm going to try out some Demo CMS 50 monitor speakers on sale at $599 each instead of $699 each from a reputable music store next Thursday. I searched some reviews & the CMS 50s came in as excellent. If they sound good should I buy them or should I pay an extra $200 to get in-the-box (non-demo) ones? Also any comments about these reference speakers and/or comments on how to test them out are really appreciated.

I have bought demo stuff once and it is OK. I have this Vox VT-15 amp that I bought from $80 on eBay and it came surprisingly NEW. The deal with demo or 'shop floor' stuff is that once the store open up the box they cannot sell it as new anymore. So sometimes what they sell as demo may be something a client purchased and gave back the next day. Keep in mind that even sold as demo the store has to ensure you that the equipment is fully functional and the only drawback is that it may or may not have some cosmetic wear. I don't know if the factory warranty remains though. Anyway, in my opinion $200 is a difference to take in consideration.

:)

If the demos look new and come with a warranty, save the $200, in fact offer them $550 each and see if there is a deal to be done.

Alan.

Back