Setting up my mixer

jameslawson

Any sound engineers want to provide a little help?
Yea i can normally master a lot of my sound items..

This time its beaten me.

Its a Behringer Xenyx 1204 FX (USB)

I have my speakers conected up on the U-Control and the mixer which feeds in the usb..

How ever i can hear myself on the mixer with my headphones plugged in perfectly but it wont pick me up on my pc yet it'll play music through it..? Is it something i have pressed on the mixer..

Heres the only picture i can gather of it, (sorry for the quality)
2nhnel3.jpg

Any help? Thank You!

All they gave me to connect was a small box that has 2 sets of phono leeds in to connect my monitors and mic and then that goes of to usb into a box

I don't see how you are expecting to get sound into the computer. You only have two RCA jacks plugged in, which are going into the stereo tape inputs. Apart from the headphones you have no outputs connected to anything...

On a side note, you have your bus and master bus faders right up, which isn't very good gain structure. Why pull noisy gain from there when you still haven't hit unity on the channel fader and I'm guessing you haven't used all the gain the preamp has on offer? Wherever possible try to keep faders below unity gain.

I don't see how you are expecting to get sound into the computer. You only have two RCA jacks plugged in, which are going into the stereo tape inputs. Apart from the headphones you have no outputs connected to anything...

On a side note, you have your bus and master bus faders right up, which isn't very good gain structure. Why pull noisy gain from there when you still haven't hit unity on the channel fader and I'm guessing you haven't used all the gain the preamp has on offer? Wherever possible try to keep faders below unity gain.

My sliders have to be because the voluem it provides is increadably low.
Also i have.
My in on input 1 and then phono to my U-Control box where another set of phono leeds go in from my monitors. Then from this box goes into my pc as a usb which acts as a soundcard, Thats where i get my little voluem from :S

But (if my memory of the Behringer mixers are correct) you currently have the RCA cables going into the two tape inputs of the mixer. The two next to it are the outputs.
Connect the 2 inputs and 2 outputs of the USB thing to the RCA connections on the mixer, then connect your monitors to the main outputs of the mixer.

And you shouldn't really have a problem with 'volume'. Your channel fader isn't yet at unity, so why have the master faders right up at +10? Gain structure is important.

Last edited:

Thanks for all the help guys! I'm sadly returning it, It generates to much noise.
I kind of guessed, I was also told behringer don't give to much good quality with some of their mixers. I'm now to find a decent mixer with sliders,

Thanks anyway!

I hate to sound nasty, but as I said before, it sounds like your gain structure within the mixer might not be the best! The Behringer mixers are cheap and the build quality isn't great (the faders often bend), but I've used some of these newer Xenyx ones and they're actually surprisingly quiet for what you pay.

Pull the master faders down to unity gain, channel fader at unity and try getting most of the gain you require from the preamps. See if that reduces how noisy it is. What is the source that you are trying to feed through your mixer?

The gain from the preamps is probably going to be a lot quieter than any you get from cranking the faders up. At the moment you are attenuating the signal with the channel fader, then reapplying all that gain with the master fader - all this is doing is introducing noise.

Last edited:
Well my main mix voluem i canno't even use :S

I have MAIN SOLO or PFL to select and some other buttons which some times enables me to use one or the other :S

Also its now currently going into my soundcard via Control room out, From stereo leads to jack leads.

USB it didn't seem to have much compaired.

If i was to provide you with a picture with out the bright blue lights could you label which i need on and which i need pluging in?

Thank You! :)

Back