Seeking Practical Monitors for Mixing in a DIY Setting

Help Help

Hi friends. I am looking for a pair of monitors for mixing. I've done a fair bit of looking around online, and find myself confused by so much conflicting opinions and what not, as I can't afford anything aurally immaculate. I am entirely diy, record lo-fi on a 4 track cassette which I transfer into Cubase for mixing/editing. Music is lo-fi punk, guitar-based. I am quite satisfied with the recordings, but am a long way from finalizing the mixes(done on quality headphones) without a proper reference point in the way of monitors. I have a small room, but with a higher than average ceiling (I know next to nothing about treating a room, so if anyone has any lo-fi tips in this area I'd appreciate it.) Given that this is home recording in a less than ideal acoustic environment, anything higher end and bigger would probably be just a waste of money anyhow. However, I do want to do the very best I can all things considered.

In scouring around for what's in the low end range of affordability(as I'll need one for left and right), I think it's likely between the Yorkville YSM5 and Yamaha HS5. I was considering the Equator D5 but it is not available in my area, and I can't bear the thought of another extended wait for anything to ship to where I live. I plan to buy what I need tomorrow, as it's high time I made progress in this area. I live in Canada so Yorkville is easy to obtain, but the Yamaha stuff is also available at Long and Mcquade and what not. I like the idea of the Yamaha NS-10 of old, that in hearing emphasized the unfortunate aspects of a mix the road to improvement is made that much more obvious. Yamaha is Yamaha, but I've read(in no means officially) that Yorkville is not dissimilar to the NS-10. There are other brands often cited, but so far these two seem like my best bet from what I've read(however feel free to suggest alternatives). My main priority in buying monitors is accurate reproduction of the mix, so as to be in the best position for it to translate well on other systems.

First off, I want to know what I need to be in position to achieve (relative) accuracy in monitoring the mixes. Please forgive my newbie ignorance, but a lack of low end(hz) reproduction seems to be an issue with some of the lo-fi monitors, and it seems common that people buy a subwoofer of some kind to compensate for that? Is this necessary for accuracy of the lows and bass? If so, what kind of combo should I be looking for? Is this only an issue with smaller monitors? If so, would it be advantageous to look into 6 or 8 inch monitors instead of 5 inch? I've read that the YSM5 is compact in that it may sufficiently captures the lows on it's own without a subwoofer, but that may not be right. In other words....I think you get the picture of what my concerns are. Also, in terms of power, would I need anything extraneous to power the monitors? I have a Teac AG-400, nothing extraordinary, but imagine it should work fine. Though I may be mistaken, which is why I mention it here.

All in all, I am rather confused and a bit stressed out as I am anxious to get started(as I've been working on the same thing for too long now), but am charting in foreign territory in regards to some of the finer points about equipment and the endless complications involved in the aural science of the recording process. I am hoping for immediate advice/information regarding monitors and what I've outlined here in regards to my recording interests specifically, so any responses that address my concerns and ignorance would be so very very very very much appreciated!!!!

Hugs for all. THANKS A LOT!

Also, there's a lot of praise to be found for the affordability/quality of the Yorkville YSM-1. However, it is not made anymore. How do the YSM-5 or YSM-6 stack up to it? How does the YSM-5 compare with the YSM-6? Particularly considering I am only using my apartment, is the smaller one of better use?

First, you mention a small room - going with anything larger than a 6" monitor speaker probably won't do you much good if your room is less than 1000 cu ft (10'x15'x7'). So smaller monitors with a sub might be the answer.
Second - acoustic treatment - YES!! go to the Studio Building section of these forums, plenty of info there. You'll read it here a thousand times - if you don't get your room treated, you CAN'T get anywhere near an accurate monitoring environment. So read and then build yourself some bass traps.

Mike's got you covered...
Start with bass traps in the corners. ANY room will benefit from that. Lots of info on where to buy here. It's not overly expensive, but can get that way if you let it. Then build a couple of 4" thick panels for ceiling clouds (don't forget to leave air gap). You can't overdo acoustic treatment in a small room. I haven't ever seen someone say, "man, I put up too many panels and now my room sounds bad." Start small, buy a $100 bundle (should get you about 12 '2x4'x2" sheets or Roxul 80 or OC703), build some corner traps and ceiling clouds. Hit JHBrandt's site for the calcs on your primary and secondary reflections.

AFA recommendations for near field monitors. Lots of opinions on that. Many like the JBL 5" (LSR 305 or something like that). The G3 Rokit's are nice. PreSonus Eris 5 and Alesis Elevate 5, just to name a few. All 5" woofer bi amped monitors with good sound. All in the $300 per pair range. You'll probably want a sub with 5's, but not necessary as good subs will start at around the $400 mark. If you're going to spend $700 for a pair of 5s and a sub, get a pair of good 8s and don't run them full on (you do need to push some are for good listening, but 85dB is 85dB). Some top picks in the 8" category...LSR 308 from JBL, Rokit 8 from KRK or Yamaha HS8.
Just did a lot of research on that very subject and my top pick (the one I bought) was the M Audio M3-8 (way too much power for a small room), followed closely by (of all brands) Behringer's B3031A and the JBL LSR 308 just mentioned. LOTS of people love their JBLs, so probably a good choice any way you slice it (5" or 8").

Thanks a lot for the replies guys! I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on either the Yamaha HS5 or the Yorkville YSm-5. A comparison between the two would be ideal, if anyone has experience with both.

Check local rentals and see if you can get a pair of each for a weekend. The Hs5's are pretty common. They Yorkville's not so much, but they do get pretty hot reviews for 5" studio monitors...meaning they handle bass frequencies well. Just by word of mouth around the web, I'd shoot for the Y's because they handle well down to the 50-55 Hz range per reviews and the H's only go down to about 70-75...Secondly, the Yamaha is a rear port vs front port on the Yorkville. You'll be shooting bass at your corners with the rear port (requiring a LOT more acoustic treatment).

Check local rentals and see if you can get a pair of each for a weekend. The Hs5's are pretty common. They Yorkville's not so much, but they do get pretty hot reviews for 5" studio monitors...meaning they handle bass frequencies well. Just by word of mouth around the web, I'd shoot for the Y's because they handle well down to the 50-55 Hz range per reviews and the H's only go down to about 70-75...Secondly, the Yamaha is a rear port vs front port on the Yorkville. You'll be shooting bass at your corners with the rear port (requiring a LOT more acoustic treatment).

Hey thanks for the reply! A guy at a store I talked to said the Yamaha HS5's had more bass response than the Yorkvillle's(as far as 5's go), and from what I listended to he was right. I arranged to take them home to test them out. Still not sure though. Having a bit of trouble getting a read on the HS5's thus far. When I listen to songs by artists I'm quite familiar with they sound different than I am used to. Granted, this could be a good thing or a bad thing, I'm just unsure how to gauge these monitors thus far. I find that the bass on my songs is a lot quieter than I expect, which is great if that's how it will actually translate, only I'm not sure so far. In the case that the Yorkville's had less bass response yet were presented in their rightful spot in the mix compared to everything else I'd prefer those. Hard to know so far. Maybe I'll get a feel for the Yamaha's yet.

If anyone else has experience with these two monitors please weigh in! Thanks!

Like we were trying to say in the previous posts. Bass is TRICKY. If you don't have good trapping, you won't get ANY speakers to tell you the truth.
It is not uncommon for reference monitors to sound different from commercial speakers. Studio monitors are supposed to be flat. Consumer speakers are not. You just have to get used to the sound you hear through your refs (usually by doing exactly what you're doing, clever boy!) and get your mixes to sound like the music it SHOULD sound like...

I ended up with the JBL LSR305's for my awkward 10'x10' room. That said, that was AFTER I treated with bass traps, first reflection, a cloud, and front and back wall treatment. Being a square room I had to take the room out of the equation. I really like the JBL's for my needs (and the price can't be beat).

Bill

Back