Sample augmentation, how much work is it?

Good points, hopefully I can have the samples pretty low in the mix or not at all. As for the drums sounding different its possible they will but I suppose Ill just figure that out when the time comes. A lot of folks High Pass the heck out of the overheads and replace drums with samples completely for metal and whatnot. I find that sound to be pretty unpleasant though.

Ah, OK. So, I wasn't that far out in left field, but now I understand your reasoning. Man, I'd still look into getting more inputs if possible. Or forget about sub-kicks and batter side, etc....But that's just my opinion.

Also, and this is more of a question than a statement because I really don't know. But, generally speaking, won't the overheads and room mics cause problems when one uses samples? The reason I ask is because you can't replace samples in the overheads and room mic. So, won't the drums sound different in the overheads if the individual drums are going to be replaced by other sounds?

I know that in your case, it might work since your samples will be the same drums. But I wonder how it works when using other samples.

There is a huge difference between replacement, and enhancement. A good sample program (like SS Trigger), allows you to select similar samples, and tune them to the recorded drums. Or, actually sample the actual live drum, and trigger it separately, so that you don't have bleed from other crap. Say a tom that has little attack, you cant add so much high end, without getting harshness from the cymbals. With Trigger, you can use that sample, to enhance the sound of the original track. Unnatural? Yes. Would you know if it was done right? Nope.

You can't really replace a drum in a live kit, because the overheads will show it.

That being said, it is ALWAYS better to have a well tuned kit, and great player. Many times, us poor guys that work with other bands, don't have that option.

Me too! :thumbs up: I wonder if steven slate will come up with a food trigger some time soon. I would love to put mediocre food in my computer and come out with a top of the line sample.

Me too! :thumbs up: I wonder if steven slate will come up with a food trigger some time soon. I would love to put mediocre food in my computer and come out with a top of the line sample.

Well, if someone could find a way to make bacon sound better, I would surely eat it with 'even more' pure desire!!! :)

Problem is that food, just like music, is a personal taste. Some like different foods. Some like basic foods. Some like expensive foods. Some make their own foods. Some cant afford to try different foods.

Sometimes, it is just the seasoning that makes Wallmart frozen chicken, taste like a pristine cuisine! Problem is, it's still chicken. Not 'sweet delicious bacon!'

Last edited:
Back