Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sample augmentation, how much work is it?

JG96 is offline Casual Poster

Sample augmentation, how much work is it?

Sign in to disable this ad
    I am thinking of getting drumagog and using samples of my drummers set to help spice up the sound. Basically I would replace the tom mics with samples of the toms. I would also augment the kick mic with a sample of the batter side along with a home made sub kick. What I am curious about is how long does it take to work with samples: alignment/prep work etc. The whole album has to be recorded and mixed in under a month and I don't know if samples are worth the time or not.

guitarplayr82 is offline 1K Silver Member
    Samples are generally a lot quicker than spending the time to get the actual drum tracks sounding right. If you have pretty good tracks with minimal bleed, detecting the transients should be seamless and the hardest part will probably just be getting the samples to sound realstic by messing with the velocities (which isn't all that hard).

A month is a really short amount of time though. Most pro records take longer than that. Why the rush?

jimmys69 is offline Moderator with long hair
    Steven Slate Trigger is the quickest, easiest, and best way IMO. Trigger EX is cheap, and worthy. Need an Ilok as well to use tho. So it is like $140 total. It just uses the audio of the original tracks, to trigger samples.

Samples of your actual sounds are quickly made with a separate program, that comes with TriggerEX.
    PC Win7-64-16G i7-2600/Cubase 5-6-7 32 bit/2-Steinberg UR824's/KRK G2-8/Event TR8/SS Trigger Plat Deluxe/Melodyne Editor/Lava Lamp/Big mean dog, cute little baby, CARBONITE!!!!

http://www.stricklerstudio.com

Sweet, I have gotten very nice kick isolation and I might just use tom triggers going into the interface. Me and my band mates are high school seniors and for the last month of school we get to do an independent project of some sort. We have chosen to record an album. Although its not a lot of time we are going to be recording/mixing almost every day. We need something presentable at the end of the month but if the album doesn't sound perfect I will spend more time tweaking it.

guitarplayr82 is offline 1K Silver Member
    Cool, well - just a thought - maybe a 5 or 6 song EP would be a more manageable project? You could do a whole album if you wanted, but you might be unhappy with the final product and in my opinion it sort of takes the fun out of music when you have to be rushed to finish something. You could always go back and record the rest of the songs for the full album once the school project is over. Just something to consider...

miroslav is offline Cosmic Cowboy
    "Sample augmentation".....I thought someone wanted a trial boob job.

Guitargodgt is offline Why 2K?
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post
    Steven Slate Trigger is the quickest, easiest, and best way IMO. Trigger EX is cheap, and worthy. Need an Ilok as well to use tho. So it is like $140 total. It just uses the audio of the original tracks, to trigger samples.

Samples of your actual sounds are quickly made with a separate program, that comes with TriggerEX.
    I will plus 1 this hard. I have used drumagog and like the fact that trigger has the side chain gate thingy. I like it for quickly turning hits to midi notes as well.
    My home studio ---> www.nerolstudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by guitarplayr82 View Post
    Cool, well - just a thought - maybe a 5 or 6 song EP would be a more manageable project? You could do a whole album if you wanted, but you might be unhappy with the final product and in my opinion it sort of takes the fun out of music when you have to be rushed to finish something. You could always go back and record the rest of the songs for the full album once the school project is over. Just something to consider...
    Good point. Some of the mixing can probably get put on the shelf till after. Bass and drums are tracked together live. Sometimes 2 people record parts in separate rooms to separate computers. I'm guessing that the tracking can get done in about 2 weeks. Leaving 2 weeks for mixing. Definitely a tight squeeze so perhaps your right about the EP. I will put together a thread about it when the time comes. I'll try to get lots of cool studio pics while I'm at it.

Hmm. At this point I'm thinking that since I will tracking drums over the corse of a few days with my own samples. I might just use the demo of drumagog and bounce the samples to new tracks. That might be a little too naughty though.

MrWrenchey is offline Force of Nature
    Quote Originally Posted by jimmys69 View Post

+1 to this as well. Especially if you already have some really good drum samples you want to use. The Steven Slate Trigger program is really good for doing this kind of thing.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information