Ride the faders

guitz

How often do you do it? In a dense mix of quadruple tracks guitars, bass and drums in a rock tune that has that going on for about 8 bars before the vocals come in..do you subtley drop the bussed guitars down in volume to make room for the vocals to stand out?....Speaking of which, how do you carve out sound to make a rock tenor vocalist not sound like it's fighting with the crunchy rhythym guitars for space, other than panning? Thanks.

I like to side-chain the vocal to duck the guitars, just a few dBs reduction. Sometimes it works better than others. Automation might be better but I'm kind of lazy.

quad guitars is not going to be easy to begin with. panning is your friend there, as well as arrangement. do you need all those guitars? spread things out. use HP filters on what you don't need for the bottom end of things. that alone should get the vocal to fit in "space".

How often do you do it? In a dense mix of quadruple tracks guitars, bass and drums in a rock tune that has that going on for about 8 bars before the vocals come in..do you subtley drop the bussed guitars down in volume to make room for the vocals to stand out?....Speaking of which, how do you carve out sound to make a rock tenor vocalist not sound like it's fighting with the crunchy rhythym guitars for space, other than panning? Thanks.

I don't carve anything. I record good tracks to begin with.

Riding the faders/automation is perfectly fine if that's what you want to do. Mixing engineers have been doing that since the dinosaur days.

quad guitars is not going to be easy to begin with. panning is your friend there, as well as arrangement. do you need all those guitars? spread things out. use HP filters on what you don't need for the bottom end of things. that alone should get the vocal to fit in "space".

possibly not...but I'm going for an 80's hard rock sound and I have the right basic tone but adding doubled guitar parts does make it thicker and punchier and not as anemic as a single stereo pair...I'm a novice mixer though, so what an accomplished engineer might get with smart us of EQ and smart use of compression, I have to sort of flounder my way thru what sounds best..

---------- Update ----------

Maybe a dumb question, but relevant to the topic. In protools when I bounce to disc it's in real time.
Can one ride faders while that's going down? Or does that need to be automated in advance? Thanks.

I fade on a lot of tracks, mostly the lead vocal, but at the final stages of a mix, I fade everything in different parts of the song, it's better than using compression.

Maybe a dumb question, but relevant to the topic. In protools when I bounce to disc it's in real time.
Can one ride faders while that's going down? Or does that need to be automated in advance? Thanks.

I would just ride the faders and record the automation....then listen back to it, and if it sounds good...bounce to disc.

That's the beauty of the DAW...unlike a real console mix where riding the faders has no "undo". :D

Yeah, i don't know how to do that (yet).
I know how to ride faders of course, but not the recording it or automation.
Still lots to learn.

a single stereo pair...

How do you achieve this? If you're playing the part twice, you won't need 4 tracks. Not saying you should never have 4 tracks, but you shouldn't NEED it just to make the track not sound amemic. If you're getting your stereo pair by copying/pasting/nudging, or something along those lines, that never sounds good. Play the part twice, pan them, and it should be as full as you need 99% of the time.

Yeah, and the whole "Carve frequencies out for other instruments" is not the way I would approach EQ. It's one of those "I read it on the internet" things, but really isn't the way to go, in my opinion. But let's not get too off topic.

If you are going for an 80's mix, maybe you should go back and listen to some 80'sort mixes. The vocals were way out front and the guitars weren't nearly as loud as they tend to be now.

There also wasn't a lot of quadruple tracked rhythm guitars. Hell, a lot of albums only had one performance with a close and a room mic. (Shout at the Devil, Bark at the Moon, etc...) Even metallicas black album only had 3, and the one in the middle wasn't always a full part, it was just there to accent certain chords.

Back