Reverb: how do I imitate this sound?

nkberg

Hi guys. I'm really new to this stuff and was wondering how I could get a reverb/delay or what ever to sound like this? I really like the sound of these vocals, and the feeling the reverb gives. I just can't seem to figure out what settings I should use. I don't know where to start. I use garageband or Logic pro 9

(I wasnt able to link the video, but just search "Sam Smith Nirvana Acoustic" on youtube, it's the one uploaded on channel "SAM SMITH")

Thanks in advance

It's a subtle enough reverb which makes it kinda hard to call but as a starting point I think I'd be looking for a reasonably long reverb time and no early reflections. If the reverb has an eq I'd roll off a lot of the bass too. (reverb bass - not dry track bass)

I mean, I'm not saying that's what they've done but that'd be my starting point if I wanted to re-create it.

Top-tip (IMO) - set the reverb level to 100% wet whilst adjusting your settings. That way you can clearly hear what all your changes are doing.
When you hit on something nice start pulling the wet/dry down to single figure percentages.
I do that with a lot of hard-to-hear effects.
It's not something to do all the time but it can help you to get familiar with the tools you have.

Top-tip 2 - If you think 10% wet sounds perfect, set it to 5%. ;)

Hope that's useful.

I think the trick with that reverb is in the pre-delay....it's a bit longer.

When he pauses with his singing, listen to the reverb on the very first word when he comes back in again...the dry comes in clearly ahead of the verb, and then the verb blooms in and tails off long.
To me, it also sounds like a plate reverb or some kind of room....rather than a bigger hall-type.

I think the trick with that reverb is in the pre-delay....it's a bit longer.

When he pauses with his singing, listen to the reverb on the very first word when he comes back in again...the dry comes in clearly ahead of the verb, and then the verb blooms in and tails off long.
To me, it also sounds like a plate reverb or some kind of room....rather than a bigger hall-type.

Agreed. ^ :)

It's a subtle enough reverb which makes it kinda hard to call but as a starting point I think I'd be looking for a reasonably long reverb time and no early reflections. If the reverb has an eq I'd roll off a lot of the bass too. (reverb bass - not dry track bass)

I mean, I'm not saying that's what they've done but that'd be my starting point if I wanted to re-create it.

Top-tip (IMO) - set the reverb level to 100% wet whilst adjusting your settings. That way you can clearly hear what all your changes are doing.
When you hit on something nice start pulling the wet/dry down to single figure percentages.
It's not something to do all the time but it can help you to get familiar with the tools you have.

Hope that's useful.
Steenamaroo, those are both great tips! I've been doing home recording for many years and the first never occurred to me -- a real "d'oh" moment for me. :) At any rate, thanks for sharing them!

Since the reverb is likely going to be on an effects loop (aux track) it's already going to be set to 100%, so just solo the reverb track (unless you're on Pro Tools in which case you can't do something as simple, common and necessary as soloing a reverb return). Use the reverb track's volume to mix it with the dry signal.

Since the reverb is likely going to be on an effects loop (aux track) it's already going to be set to 100%
Yes. I was a little confused by Steen's post. Reverb should be, and almost always is, a SEND effect. Which means that it should be set to 100% wet all the time. The Wet/Dry is not the place to adjust reverb level.

It's different strokes, I guess.
Plenty of people use reverb as a track insert rather than on an aux.

Really? I honestly didn't know that. I thought reverb was almost always used as a Send effect. So you need multiple instances of the same reverb on all the instruments you want reverb on?

Really? I honestly didn't know that. I thought reverb was almost always used as a Send effect. So you need multiple instances of the same reverb on all the instruments you want reverb on?

Nah, if I want the same verb on a load of things I'll use sends to one common verb, but for vocals I usually end up with wanting a slightly different reverb so I just use one as an insert.

Maybe it never bothered me because the plugs I own have wet/dry and reverb eq built into them?

As BSG pointed out, Protools kinda lends itself to the insert way of working.

Nah, if I want the same verb on a load of things I'll use sends to one common verb, but for vocals I usually end up with wanting a slightly different reverb so I just use one as an insert.

Maybe it never bothered me because the plugs I own have wet/dry and reverb eq built into them?

Ah ok, makes more sense now. Nothing wrong with that.

Steen, it just hit me to ask this. When you use a reverb as an insert, it ends up being a mono reverb if it's on a mono instrument, like vocals, right?

Steen, it just hit me to ask this. When you use a reverb as an insert, it ends up being a mono reverb if it's on a mono instrument, like vocals, right?

Negative. I can choose a mono or stereo plug even if it's a mono vocal track.
Adding a stereo plug changes the track type stereo.

Negative. I can choose a mono or stereo plug even if it's a mono vocal track.
Adding the plug changes the meters and outputs to stereo.
Right. I forgot we were talking about DAW's when I asked the question. For some reason, I had an actual analog board and hardware reverb unit in my mind when I asked. :eek:

Only because after all this time Avid still can't grasp what every other DAW I've used can do and what many analog mixers have been doing for decades. It's as if General Motors built all their vehicles without windshield wipers because they just didn't see the need. Telling people to use the solo safe function is about as helpful as telling people to pull over and wipe their windshield with a rag every twenty yards when it's raining. The Pro Tools soloing behavior is just plain idiotic.

Back