Reverb & Compression bundle for Pro Tools LE

I'm well past ripe for the joys of analog. I have a lot of hardware outboard, far more than plugins! I actually use very few plugins. That's why I was so surprised and delighted to find the Massey plugins, which sound excellent *and* are affordable.

Analog's a dangerous world to get into. Very good for draining a bank account. I'm trying to stay as far away from them as I can. Having enough trouble not buying a nice selection of preamps.

scrouch said:
Also, I think the Production Toolkit is a ripoff for what you get. Unless you need the extra tracks, and your computer can handle it (Pro Tools will still only let you get to 85% CPU in LE with the production tool kit), it's really not worth it. For $50, 7.3 is a better upgrade and comes with the MP3 option if you need it.

if you go to the play back engine you can change that to 99%
or am i reading this wrong? :confused:

Personally I find convolution reverbs useful not for reverbs but for special FX stuff. Instead of using reverb IRs, just load up some samples and put your audio through them. In some cases I use them to make some slightly different sounding drum samples to liven things up. For example, let's say I've cut off a snare hit from some break, and there are no other clean snare hits in there, I'll pass that snare through SIR with a sample of another snare and mix it in a bit. In about 5 min, I'll have enough of those bad boys where I can jam and not have that tiring sound of the same exact sample.

noisewreck said:
Instead of using reverb IRs, just load up some samples and put your audio through them.
Maybe I'm thinking about it wrong or missing an important point, but isn't that kinda another way of creating an envelope follower?

G.

No, because the convolution engine will convolve the incoming audio with whatever audio file is loaded as an IR. So, in a crude sence the IR is more of a filter rather than an envelope follower.

To see what I mean, try the following:
Load up some sample of speech (could be a recording of you talking for example) as an IR. Send some short synth sounds to the Convolution reverb. Voila, you got yourself a rather inflexible vocoder :)

Last edited:
noisewreck said:
No, because the IR engine will convolve the incoming audio with whatever audio file is loaded as an IR. So, in a crude sence the IR is more of a filter rather than an envelope follower.
Ah, gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

G.

fishkarma said:
if you go to the play back engine you can change that to 99%
or am i reading this wrong? :confused:

You can change it to 99% if you have a multiprocessor. It will let you set one of the processors to be completely used by Pro Tools. I think to get 99% you need to swich it to 1 processor from 2 (or more) as well so you're not really getting the full value of your system. I'm not completely sure on that, but if that's the case you're actually only getting 50% of your potential total cpu power. According to the PT literature, that's how it works for multiprocessor computers. I don't have a dual so I've never tried it. If you have a single processor you're stuck with 85%. I'm running a single G5 so I can't get higher than 85%.

Apparently on a dual you can get 90% total and on a quad you can get 95% total if you use multiprocessors. The 99% is still only for a single on a multiprocessor computer. Single processor folk like me are still stuck at 85.

strange i have menu meters in my menu bar and their nearly maxed out looks a lot more than 90% and i am able to set it to 99% but it may not reach that i suppose.
why the limitations differ for different amounts of cores just seems weird.

where did you find this info? as id be interested in reading up on it

Some of you guys are off on the percentages due to the operating system.

A Dual G5 running PTLE 7.3.1 can set up to 99% for both processors.

Interestingly, when I had the Dual G5 running 6.9.2, I could set up to 99% for one processor only.

nuemes said:
Some of you guys are off on the percentages due to the operating system.

A Dual G5 running PTLE 7.3.1 can set up to 99% for both processors.

Interestingly, when I had the Dual G5 running 6.9.2, I could set up to 99% for one processor only.

PTLE 7.3.1 works fine on both cores for me too
mabe 6.9.2 was like that due to not many computers running on two cores? and hence digi didnt try to make it run on two cores as no one needed it? thats just speculation though so ignore me if its total bull! :D

I'm getting the limits straight out of the Digidesign literature. Page 72 of the pdf titled "What's New in Pro Tools LE 7.0" downloaded off the Digidesign website. There is a note about an exception of getting 99% with a Digi002.

I have M-Powered 7.3.1 running on a single chip G5 and it won't let you get above 85%. Higher options aren't even in the drop down menu. In 7.3 M-Powered you can get 99% on a dual processor but I'm assuming it's similar to what's mentioned in the LE guide. It would be really strange that they would limit the usage of a single chip but not a dual. In the 7.1.1 Academic guide they have it listed as 99% on one chip and 90% on two. Figure that one out.

Link to the PDF:

http://akmedia.digidesign.com/support/docs/new_in_ptle_70_26678.pdf

Yeah, that is unfortunate. One of those things they should mention when they talk about M-Powered. I'm still happy with the program but sometimes hit the CPU limit. Not a hugh deal, but pretty much why I haven't bought the Music Production Toolkit.

Back